About the role
We combine observation data and model outputs at both local and global scales to project physical impacts of climate change, such as floods, subsidence, storms, droughts, etc.
We’re seeking an enthusiastic and capable Physical Scientist with expertise in flood-related modelling to help us understand climate impacts across multiple spatial scales.
You’ll help lead the development of new flood modelling techniques and derive new insights into climate impacts, together with a superstar interdisciplinary team.
The impact you’ll own
- Employ physical and statistical flood modelling techniques to build scalable and detailed flood hazard models for multiple countries around the world
- Identification and standardisation of data required for development
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Documentation of all modelling activity, including writing peer-reviewed journal papers when appropriate
- Collaboration with climate modelling team members to develop comprehensive projections of future climate change flood risks
- Understanding of other model approaches within the core geospatial solution including storms, subsidence, and other climate physical risks
- Participation in product demos with enterprise-grade clients and presenting your work at international scientific conferences
What you bring
- PhD or equivalent experience in hydrology, flood risk, statistical analysis, and remote sensing
- Experience leveraging scientific computing techniques with Python, ideally in a cloud environment
- Awareness of emerging trends in hydrological modelling and technologies
- Ability to explain complex concepts to a non-technical audience
- Hands-on, can-do attitude, great interpersonal skills, and ability to collaborate effectively across an interdisciplinary team
- Passion, energy, and wit
What makes you stand out
- PhD or equivalent experience in hydrological or hydraulic modelling and climate change impacts
- Previous experience with physically based flood modelling, using computational models such as LisFlood FP
- Expertise in coastal or urban flooding
- Understanding of remote sensing and data science methods for dealing with large datasets, or incomplete data
- Understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends
- Experience working in an industry-based science role or similar environment
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of geospatial analytics
WHAT YOU GET
- Your terms
£45K – £50K
Your compensation is determined based on the value you create. We’ll also reward you with employee shares based on merit & performance. We are a genuine meritocracy, free from outdated HR practices.
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.