For our office in Pemba, Cabo Delgado, Mozambique, the Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance (JIA) is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Johanniter started their activities in Mozambique in 2019 with a focus on the Northern Provinces. The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s Program in Pemba, Mozambique, is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of IDPs and host population. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve, in close cooperation with the MoH, the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people (such as elderly people, people with disability, people living with HIV/AIDS, and survivors of SGBV). Furthermore, Johanniter’s Mozambique program seeks to improve access to water, sanitation and hygiene.
In a Nutshell
- improve the relevance, efficiency, effectiveness and impact of WASH projects and activities, through strategic and operational design
- plan, follow-up and provide technical guidance and orientation to the program team
- be reporting to the Senior Programme Manager
What you will do:
Strategy and Vision
- Actively support the values of Johanniter and shape the work according to these values
- Support the implementation of the country strategy in line with the global Johanniter strategy
- Support the development of long-term programming as well as exit strategies
- Contribute to identify geographical areas of interest according to humanitarian context, vulnerable populations’ needs, national and donors’ priorities
- Carry out needs assessments; analyse, report and provide recommendations for interventions
- Support the identification and design of new interventions and programs through assessments and technical contributions
Programme Implementation and Quality
- Plan and implement WASH activities in line with humanitarian, donor and country specific quality standards, country strategy and project documentations
- Contribute to the financial projections and regularly monitor their thematic budget utilization status
- Develop target criteria and mechanisms to ensure needs of identified vulnerable groups are met
- Ensure links with community representatives, mobilisation/engagement with project communities and other relevant stakeholders
- Implement activities according to work plan, in line with national/international technical and humanitarian standards, guidelines and best practices
- Conduct distributions of procured items and provide required support to staff/partner staff, stake-holders, beneficiaries in line with work plan
- With PMEAL staff, monitor progress of interventions’ indicators against programmatic outcomes targets and ensure that targets are met
Programme Implementation and Quality cont.
- Ensure quality of programming and technical guidance of program implementation through frequent field visits
- Ensure WASH activities are aligned & integrated with other programmatic areas, such as health, nutrition and livelihoods
- Support ownership of local communities and development of exit strategies/handover to local stake-holders and communities
Monitor, Evaluate, Accountability, Learning, Report
- Ensure compliance of the WASH activities to internal, donor and governmental requirements
- Establish and maintain systems/tools to monitor and evaluate project activities, quality and impact
- Develop and maintain community feedback mechanisms
- Conduct monitoring of all aspects of Johanniter WASH intervention,
- Provide data and information, data verification, storage and management of databases
- Provide technical input and support project progress reports
- Support knowledge management, document and share project information, lessons learned
- Conduct technical capacity building sessions and workshops to staff, partners, government counterparts and communities
Representation and Communication
- Build and strengthen external relationships, represent Johanniter in WASH Clusters and other relevant coordination for a
What you bring:
- MSc /BSc degree in Public Health -, Civil -, Water Resource Engineering, Environmental Sciences/Public Health or any related discipline with an excellent technical understanding and demonstrated experience on WASH.
- At least 4 years of experience as a WASH professional in a leading position
- Experience working in volatile contexts
- Experience working in humanitarian/development operations
- Solid technical WASH experience that exceeds Public Health
- Excellent technical skills and practical experience of preparing technical drawing, designs, BOQs and estimates of water and sanitation infrastructure preferably in refugee/ IDP camp settings
- Strong command GIS and/or other engineering software
- Full working proficiency in English, Portuguese is a strong asset (in lieu of Portuguese, Spanish or Italian are acceptable)
- Conflict sensitive and result-oriented management skills and experience.
- Ability to prepare concise high quality reports on time
- Strategic development experience is a strong asset
- Solid proven representation and networking skills and experience
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience and skills in positive leadership and building staff capacity
- Safety and security sensitivity and awareness
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure
- Structured work mode
- Strong team player with excellent social skills and high levels of cultural sensitivity
- Willingness to work in a volatile context
What we offer:
Remuneration: 45 114 – 47 488€/annum gross (Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience)
Benefits: 13th cheque, Social security (375€/month for expats not under German social security); rental contribution of 300 €/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts >1 year); CoLA (930€/ month).
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
How to apply
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via [email protected] (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), earliest start date indicating “WASH Coordinator Mozambique” in the subject line
Deadline for applications: 28 September 2022
Interviews planned for: 12 – 14 October 2022
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, irrespective of cultural, religious, social background, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation.
We strongly encourage qualified females to apply.
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse