West Virginia University Research Office is currently accepting applications for a Water Resources Engineer.
About the Opportunity
The Incumbent, serving as the Water Resources Engineer, is responsible for the design and implementation of AMD treatment plant(s) including treatment operations for the recovery of Rare Earth Elements (REE) and Critical Materials (CM), accomplishing program objectives and adhering to health and safety guidelines. The Incumbent is responsible for identifying research opportunities, managing research teams, preparing proposals, creating and tracking budgets, preparing reports and successfully completing projects.
This position reports to the WVWRI Associate Director. The Incumbent operates independently without detailed instruction regarding routine tasks and organizes new assignments in accordance with only general direction. General sharing of knowledge and team participation with project researchers and with WRI managers is expected in the role. Initiates program, project or activity lead and work coordination. Seeks funding opportunities and develops and submits proposals through understanding of requests for proposal guidelines and coordination of research teams, in consultation with the Associate Director. Manages and performs project tasks in accordance with contracts, task schedules, keeping within budget.
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs.:
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
- A range of health insurance and other benefits
- Dependent Education Scholarship
- WVU Perks
- And More!!
What you’ll do:
- Develops upstream plant designs producing hydraulic preconcentrate, using innovative science based approaches.
- Works closely with the implementation team to oversee construction activities.
- Manages projects and research teams and communicates frequently with project partners.
- Financial tracking of project funds, reviews and ensures that expenditures are in accordance with sponsor-approved budget requirements.
- Provides research and development support for acid mine drainage treatment program team.
- Identifies legal requirements and reporting regulations to ensure policies, procedures and reports are compliant.
- Ensures necessary permits are received.
- Prepares technical reports for sponsors and peer-reviewed journal publications.
- Sets up conference calls, meetings, other events related to projects.
Education and/or Experience
- PhD in Civil and Environmental Engineering and 5 or more years of engineering experience in similar area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Ability to organize and manage multiple parts of a project to ensure on-time submittal of deliverables to funding agencies.
- Ability to understand and adhere to sponsors’ (e.g., federal, state, private) and University financial requirements, procedures, and processes for expending funds appropriately and ensuring purchases, vendor invoices, cost transfers, labor distributions and adjustments are not only submitted but completed by tracking requests for expenditures through University invoicing to sponsoring agencies.
- Ability to use good judgment to make sound decisions based on site conditions, field and laboratory data and knowledge of regulations.
- Experience with AutoCAD and other relevant design software.
- Knowledge of fluid mechanics, hydraulics, and hydrology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Ability to supervise and oversee multiple people working on multiple projects.
- Ability to quickly and correctly solve problems during project construction activities.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work tasks and complete them in a timely manner.
- Knowledge and laboratory experience in mining, metallurgical research techniques.
- Knowledge of laboratory environment and appropriate procedures.
- System planning and design experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to process and interpret analytical data.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with little to no direction.
- Ability to write and present scientific data.
- Skilled at identifying complex problems, assessing situations and developing solutions.
- Familiarity with the coal industry and its environmental compliance practices.
Requires physical abilities to perform laboratory research, including manual dexterity and abilities to see, hear, walk, talk and feel. Travels to remote locations in WV and surrounding states with occasional overnight stays.
Mixture of office, laboratory and field. Outdoor weather conditions will be variable and during rare times may be very hot or cold. Moderate noise levels are experienced in the work environment.
About Research Corporation
The WVURC was created as a not-for-profit corporation in 1985 to support research (R1) at West Virginia University. We provide evaluation, development, patenting, management, and marketing services for inventions of the faculty, staff and students of the University.
The WVURC receives and administers funds awarded by external agencies for research and other activities and is responsible for helping protect intellectual property through patents, copyrights and licensing agreements for start-up companies based on University research.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic environment is core to WVURC’s mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Job Posting: Sep 12, 2022
Posting Classification: Research Corporation
Exemption Status: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes