Deputy Commissioner (Bureau of Customer Services)
The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water, managing wastewater and stormwater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP's water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the system’s 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.
The Bureau of Customer Services (BCS) oversees the production and collection of water and sewer bills along with all the work required to maintain our citywide network of meters and meter reading devices. The Bureau’s 500 employees directly serve 836,000 customers and generate nearly $4 billion of revenue annually.
To lead this Bureau, DEP seeks a dynamic, results-driven Executive to serve as Deputy Commissioner. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the selected candidate will be responsible for managing all Bureau activities related to the use and sale of water from the New York City water supply system. The selected candidate will also take the lead on revenue collections and reporting matters in coordination with the NYC Water Board, the NYC Municipal Water Finance Authority, the NYC Comptroller’s Office as well as other agencies and oversight entities. In addition, the selected candidate will oversee the complete overhaul and modernization of DEP’s billing system, a $21 million project that has been recently launched.
In addition, the Deputy Commissioner will:
• manage the activities of the Bureau’s employees, consultants and contractors;
• develop and implement new policies to improve the customer experience
• advise DEP’s Commissioner, Chief Financial Officer, and other City government officials on matters pertaining to the Bureau;
• oversee an aggressive program to replace 34,000 large meters;
• work with the Department of Finance to renew authorization to sell liens on delinquent accounts;
• design and implement improvements to the automated meter reading system;
• conduct revenue analyses to support rate modeling and inform DEP policy on revenue collections; and
• oversee and monitor customer appeals.
The Deputy Commissioner position requires excellent leadership, communication and client service skills as well as a passion for driving innovation, continuous improvement and efficiency, and implementing workforce strategies to recruit, develop and retain the most qualified and diverse talent in a customer service environment. The selected candidate will be expected to work closely with Agency and oversight counterparts and must have excellent management skills focused on staff alignment with the Bureau’s vision, goals and career development. In addition, he/she must be an effective team player, capable of sustaining a culture of excellence in the delivery of customer service to internal partners and possess the ability to establish and maintain effective external partnerships and collaboration.
Specifically, the following skills and abilities are required to be successful in this role:
•7-10 years relevant work experience leading customer focused functions, of which at least 3 years must have been in a senior leadership position
•BA/BS degree; MBA/advanced degree preferred
•Strong analytical skills, with ability to interpret data and trends, diagnose problems, and implement action plans to resolve issues
•Outstanding written and oral communication skills
•Comfort in managing concurrent projects in a fast-paced, results-driven environment with equal enthusiasm for high-level strategic planning and tactical daily execution
•In-depth knowledge of Federal, City and State governmental rules and regulations related to the position; NYC experience is a plus.
•Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
1. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college and four years of satisfactory experience of a nature to qualify for the duties and responsibilities of the position, at least 18 months of which must have been in a managerial, executive, or consultative capacity or supervising staff performing activities related to the duties of the position; or
2. A combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of managerial, executive, consultative or supervisory experience described in “1” above.
To Apply and view full job description and qualification:
Non-city Employees: Log on to nyc.gov/jobs and Search for Job ID # 396521.
City Employees: Log on to Employee Self Service (ESS) and search for Job ID # 396521.
DEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.