Regions Team Internship with C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
The C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, now in its 14th year, connects 94 of the world’s greatest cities which have committed to tackling climate change. We bring mayors from around the world together to learn from each other in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and creating resilient, sustainable and low carbon cities. C40 cities represent more than 700 million urban citizens and their economies account for 25% of the global GDP. C40’s ‘Deadline 2020’ report sets out the critical role that the world’s major cities have to play in delivering the historic Paris Agreement to prevent catastrophic climate change.
C40’s team of 180+ staff is headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Rio de Janeiro, Copenhagen, Beijing and Paris and individual staff based across 25+ different locations. C40 is primarily funded through the generous support of philanthropic foundations.
The strategic direction of the organization is determined by an elected Steering Committee of C40 mayors which is chaired by the Mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo. Three-term Mayor of New York City Michael R. Bloomberg serves as President of the C40 Board of Directors, which is responsible for operational oversight. An eight-person management team, led by Executive Director, Mark Watts, leads the day-to-day management of C40. C40’s three core strategic funders are Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and Realdania.
C40 is offering interested graduates/undergraduates the opportunity to work in our Regions Team. The successful intern will provide support to the Regions Team and support the Team campaigns, primarily the Deadline 2020 Programme, which is a strategic priority for C40 over 2017-2020 and at the forefront of the global city climate ambition. The successful intern will also get a chance to work closely with the Regional Directors and assist with other Regions team efforts, such as delivery of regional events. If you wish to develop your career in a global organization, a position within the Regions team in C40 would be an ideal placement.
If selected, working a 40-hour week, s/he will have the opportunity to develop skills and understanding in a range of subject areas, gaining valuable experience working with international colleagues in a fast-paced and exciting global organization.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Providing support as needed to the Deadline 2020 Project Manager and other members of the Regions Team.
- Providing administrative support to delivery of the Deadline 2020 Programme-related meetings, events and regular updates to the C40 Management Team.
- Managing and strengthening a database for monitoring engagement with cities in different C40 activities and supporting cross-team collaboration.
- Providing desktop research as required on cities and issues related to the Deadline 2020 Programme and regional priorities.
- Assisting with supporting and monitoring progress of regular Regions Team campaigns (Participation Standards, Regional events, C40 Mailings process, etc.).
- Assisting with knowledge sharing from and among C40 cities, through bespoke case studies and other channels.
- Assisting with sending Regions team communications to cities and responding to enquiries from internal and external contacts and, as far as is possible, process these through to their resolution.
- Providing support to Regional Directors as and when needed.
- Establishing and maintaining lines of communication and positive working relationships with all parties across the C40 network of offices.
- Coordinating translations of documents as and when necessary.
- Passionate about the mission of C40 and a strong interest in helping cities overcome their sustainability challenges, particularly municipal climate finance challenges.
- A natural communicator and collaborator, able to effectively manage own time, prioritise activities and accomplish tasks with minimal oversight.
- Strong oral/written communication (English), research, and critical thinking skills.
- Strong organisational skills, with excellent attention to detail and a delivery-oriented approach.
- Ability to work pro-actively to achieve efficiency and effectiveness as part of a diverse team.
- Highly competent with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Comfortable with technology, including web-based tools and spreadsheets, videoconferencing. Keen to master new software and tools.
- Degree educated, and preferably an advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
Ideally, candidates will also:
- Be fluent in another language spoken in C40 cities, particularly Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, Vietnamese, though not essential.
Application Process Closing Date for Applications
Interested candidates should send their CVs and a covering letter, stating how you meet the criteria, to CoSector. All applications must be received by Monday, 24th June by 5.00 pm. CVs that are not accompanied with a covering letter will not be considered.
Please note that CoSector, on behalf of C40, is managing the recruitment for this role. Please do not contact C40 directly; all enquiries must come through the CoSector's internships team. Any applications sent to C40 directly will not be accepted.
**Please make sure you submit you CV and Cover Letter as one document**
Any problems with submitting your application online, please send your CV and Cover letter as one Word document to ">