Australia nationals: Senior Catchment Modeller
As a senior member of the Paddock to Reef Catchment Modelling team, you will be developing and applying catchment water quantity and quality models for Basins across the Great Barrier Reef (GBR). You will be required to interpret modelled outputs, provide input to the annual Reef Report Card and evaluate the management and use activities that address reef water quality targets and outcomes. The role will support the development of state government policies and inform the prioritisation of government funding. You will be required to provide leadership, specialist technical and scientific advice to state and federal government agencies, regional NRM groups and other science professionals across the state.
Position status Temporary
Position type Full-time
Occupational group Sciences
Workplace Location Cairns region,Far North Qld
Job ad reference QLD/314043/19
Closing date 03-Jul-2019
Yearly salary $93243 - $100287
Fortnightly salary $3574.00 - $3844.00
Job duration Until 30 June 2022
Contact person David Waters
Contact details PH: (07) 4529 1395
The key duties and accountabilities of this position are:
- Lead the development of catchment water quantity and quality models, for basins across the GBR, to report improvements to water quality resulting from improved land management practice adoption to support the annual Reef Report Cards
- Represent the Queensland Government and build relationships with other stakeholders, presenting results and outputs from the modelling in a range of forums, including scientific workshops, regional body and stakeholder meetings and the production of technical reports and peer reviewed papers for scientific journals
- Support regional bodies and industry groups to identify needs and opportunities to improve the sustainable use of land and water resources
- Interact closely with other professionals collecting relevant data and information, and liaise and collaborate with scientists and professional officers from a range of State and Commonwealth agencies, Regional bodies and other institutions involved in modelling
- Provide expert technical advice to internal and external clients on land management and reef catchment modelling outcomes
- Provide science leadership in modelling, integrating new data and innovative approaches to improve water quality modelling
- Other duties as directed and required.
The following are mandatory requirements of the position:
- A Degree qualification in Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Engineering, Rural Science, Natural Resource Management or agreed equivalent as determined by the Director-General (seek advice from the Contact Officer before applying).
- High-level skills in modelling, coding (e.g. R, python, C etc) and spatial analysis of agricultural systems, hydrology, soil processes and management of water quality.
- Travel away from the centre will be required from time to time, and may involve travel outside of normal hours and/or overnight, occasional weekend work and accommodation away from the centre.
- Applicants must possess the minimum of a manual Class C Queensland driver's license or equivalent. This position can be based in either Cairns or Mareeba.
Applications will remain current for 12 months.
Please ensure you download all attachments and follow the instructions on how to apply.
Before applying for this vacancy please ensure you read the documents below.
- Working For DNRME (PDF, 272KB)
- 314043 19 Role Profile (Word, 104KB)