Research Fellow in Water Resources Modelling and Management
Job no: 0048499
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Melbourne School of Engineering
Department/School: School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 9.5% super
- Join the number 1 University in Australia
- Take your research further in the Australian Research Council Linkage Project “Water availability and demand: better forecasts, better management”
- 3 year appointment available for Level A ($72,083-97,812 p.a.) or Level B ($102,967 – 122,268 p.a.) plus 9.5% superannuation, commensurate with experience and qualifications relevant to the role
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
At MSE, we are committed to excellence. We are transforming our engineering and IT teaching as well as research at the University of Melbourne, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future — the people and things that will drive innovation and productivity to make a sustainable impact on the world in which we live. It’s an incredibly exciting time to be joining MSE!
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical & Infrastructure Engineering (IE)
IE undertakes teaching and research across a range of disciplines that are internationally recognised for their contribution to fundamental research. It has a number of well-established industry linkages and international partnerships. It is building a vibrant profile of interdisciplinary research, working with industry with an aim to contribute to society. It offers a comprehensive range of accredited Master of Engineering and Master of Information Technology programs taught through the Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure departments as well as professional Masters programs. It has a substantial cohort of research higher degree students. A major focus of the school is to attract and retain outstanding and internationally recognised academic staff. The School is committed through strategy, culture and mentorship to increasing the number of female engineers and scientists on its staff.
We’re looking for an innovative Research Fellow to conduct cutting edge research in ensemble hydroclimate forecasting and its applications to management of water resources and hazard as part of the Australian Research Council Linkage Project “Water availability and demand: better forecasts, better management”. You will work closely with other research institutes, water authorities and agencies as you develop, evaluate and implement original methods and computer models in areas of ensemble water availability and demand forecasts. You will demonstrate the application of developed tools to inform water management decisions to maximise social, economic and ecological benefits.
- You hold a PhD or equivalent research experience in environmental modelling, water resource system modelling and management, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake numerical modelling and data analysis in water resources or surface water management.
- Demonstrated experience in computer programming (e.g. R, Matlab, Fortran, C/C++, and/or Python).
- A track record of quality research as evidenced by research publications in leading conferences and journals commensurate with opportunity.
- You have a well-developed ability to interact positively and work co-operatively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and liaise with people from diverse backgrounds and at varied levels.
What we offer you
Apart from competitive salaries, our benefits are aimed at recognising and rewarding the contributions you make. We offer complete flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
How to Apply
Apply online with a cover letter outlining your motivation and reasons for applying with your resume.
About the University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to respond to the major social, economic and environmental challenges of our time.
While we review your application, get to know us more and find out what it’s like working at MSE by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse