- Waliso, Ethiopia
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 of countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, is operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopian through a market-based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV’s operations, visit our website: www.snv.org.
Background of the Project
The project is designed to contribute to the sustained reduction of the prevalence of Trachomatous inflammation– follicular (TF) to < 5% through sustained change in facial cleanliness and handwashing practices of the community; use of improved sanitation and integration/mainstreaming of trachoma and WASH interventions in 8 woredas in 4 zones of the Oromia region.
The Fred Hollows Foundation (FHF) funded WASH for Trachoma Elimination (WASHTRA) phase 2 Project to be implemented in Oromia region. Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the WASH Communications Officer will be responsible for leading the different action research, development of case stories, practice papers, lesson learned and the production of communication and outreach materials and launching and events campaign in relation to the WASH for Trachoma elimination required actions.
The phase 2 project covers Agarfa and Gasera woredas in Bale zone, Tole, Illu and Wolliso woredas in Southwest Showa zone, Wachale in North Showa zone, Mana and Shebe Sombo woredas in Jima zone and the job holder will support all Water and sanitation planning, new construction, rehabilitation/repair and other operation and maintenance of water facilities in community, schools, health facilities and Capacity building activities to the woreda water, Health and Education staff, school WASH club members and WASH committees, Women Development Army and Health Extension Workers.
- Project Planning, Implementation and Reporting
- Facilitate of the project activities implementation and linkage with the different WASH sectors including WASH COs, communities, and other stockholders in the woreda including the WASH and NTD coordination forums
- Identify and incubate Private Local Service Providers (PLSPs) to deliver water schemes operation and maintenance, quality sanitation products, identify the barriers, enablers, influencers, channels, and opportunities for behaviour change and all water and sanitation infrastructure development and proper use by the community
- Partnership development and strengthening
- Coordinate with Water, Health, Education, Labour and Social Affairs, Finance, Small and Micro Enterprises, Women and children Affairs and other sector offices and community members to ensure that community capacity is developed.
- Knowledge Management, Learning and Innovation
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Behavioural change Communication (BCC), Water Resources Engineering or relevant Environmental Health and Hygiene related disciplines.
- At least 3 years of community-based proven experience in undertaking activities aimed at Behaviour Communication Change (BCC), Capacity Building of government staff and institution to effectively construct, manage and maintain WASH services.
- Organizational skills and a strong track record in meeting deliverables deadlines.
- Strong English and Afaan Oromo communication skills, both interpersonal and written.
- Strong data analysis and reporting skills.
- Commercial drive and quality orientation.
- Attention to detail
- Result Orientation
The position is offered based on a National contract and initially for a term of 9 months with possible extension based on budget availability and performance.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, We offer
opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment.
How to Apply
Please apply by clicking on the I’m Interested button and completing your application in our in-house recruitment system before or on 8th September 2022.
All information will be in the strictest confidence and in accordance to GDPR.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement