Research Analyst (WRI China)
China is the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gasses, but equally importantly, it is leading on the innovation and investment needed to decisively tackle climate change. During the 19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China, President Xi Jinping clearly indicated his vision to build green, low-carbon and circular economic systems, emphasizing green development and “eco-civilization”. This vision points to the historic opportunity that China has to accelerate its economic transition towards low-carbon development. President Xi’s vision pushes the government to think well beyond the current commitment to peak carbon dioxide by 2030, and creates opportunities to significantly change planning frameworks and mindsets at both national and subnational levels toward China’s 2050 vision.
We are seeking a Research Analyst to conduct economic analyses for national and subnational deep-decarbonization pathways. To do so, you will be working at the nexus of economics, climate, and environmental priorities. You will be engaging with national and subnational governments, research organizations, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, and businesses to facilitate the economic transition processes. You will be playing a key role in providing economic analyses to complement climate, energy, and other sectoral works led by other analysts within WRI China and our external partners. The position will be based in Beijing but requires frequent travel domestically and some international travels.
- Undertake industrial, energy, and other related economic analyses and modeling to support China’s medium- and long-term low-carbon transition at both national and subnational levels.
- Produce research reports, strategic papers, and other research products related to the above topics.
- Engage with stakeholders through roundtables, seminars, workshops, policy dialogues, training, and other communication and engagement activities.
- Develop blog posts, policy briefs, commentaries, and other communication materials to reach out to the targeted stakeholders.
- Support the project team in developing project ideas, concept notes, proposals, and other fundraising tasks.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- At least a master’s degree in industrial, environmental, energy economics, or other related economic fields.
- At least three years of experience related to economic and industrial low-carbon analyses in China.
- Excellent research and writing skills, preferably with publication experience both in Chinese and English.
- Excellent communication skills and command of written and spoken Chinese and English.
- Positive, enthusiastic, and innovative in facing challenges, opportunities and new tasks.
- Demonstrating team spirit with excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with staff and external stakeholders at all levels, and flexibility to work across different time zones.
- Willingness and ability to travel, both domestically and internationally.
Location: Beijing, China
Starting Date: August 2019
Reporting Line: This position reports to China Climate Program
Salary and Benefits: Competitive compensation will be offered commensurate with qualifications
Please submit your application before June.30