Job Requisition Number 0000759
Field(s) of Specialization Agriculture, Climate, Nutrition, Public administration, Public policy
Position Title Staff Associate
Department EIL Lamont Divisions
Location Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
The Staff Associate will provide critical support to the delivery of current and new research and capacity-building initiatives within the International Research Institute for Climate and Society (IRI). Efforts will focus on the implementation of the Columbia World Project ACToday (“Adapting Agriculture to Climate Today, for Tomorrow”), with an initial focus on Ethiopia and Senegal. Work will involve interacting with IRI staff and ACToday partners to undertake research and deliver analysis, reports and, as appropriate, contributions to formal peer-reviewed publications in the area of climate, agriculture, food security and nutrition. An important part of the position will be to coordinate and support ACToday research and capacity-building activities with partner organizations in relevant countries.
Assist research in climate and food/nutrient security. This includes gathering data, performing specific analysis, preparing reports and contributing to (and leading as appropriate) formal peer-reviewed publications in the nexus of climate – agriculture – food security – nutrition.
Facilitate, develop materials for, and participate in research and capacity building meetings, workshops and trainings, involving in-region travel, primarily in Africa and coordination with partners and stakeholders.
Present on ACToday project activities and progress at meetings and other engagements, speak/respond on behalf of the country team in discussions with partners, and steer project activities forward when the Country Lead becomes unavailable.
Communicate effectively with the country team and project management team about ongoing activities and goals. Identify information required for the management, planning and implementation of the project and communicate this with the Country Lead.
Coordinate and contribute to preparing project reports and outreach materials (including web features and newsletters), as needed. Develop policy briefs, flyers and targeted promotional materials, as needed.
The Staff Associate will receive general supervision and direction from the Senior Staff Associate. Will exercise independent judgement and initiative within parameters specified by the Senior Staff Associate.
The incumbent will be expected to work closely with a senior team comprised of the ACToday project PIs, country leads, the Data Library Team and IRI staff engaged across the institute as well as with multiple partners in the two focus countries. May guide short-term research assistants on preliminary data analysis and reporting.
Minimum Degree Required
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, climate, nutrition, public administration, public policy or a related discipline and four years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree in agriculture, climate, nutrition, public administration, public policy or a related discipline and two years of relevant experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work with development partners internationally.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently with strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to travel up to thirty percent of the time.
- Fluency in both English and French is preferred.
- Appointments are made on a fiscal year basis and are eligible for renewal each July 1, contingent upon performance and funding.
- Search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.
- Columbia University benefits offered with this Officer of Research appointment.
- We accept online applications only.
- The successful candidate will form part of IRI’s multidisciplinary team of scientists engaged in its mission to enhance society’s capability to understand, anticipate and manage the impacts of climate in order to improve human welfare and the environment, especially in developing countries. The IRI is a catalyst for the research, creation and provision of science-based outcomes that address climate risk. Our approach is based on collaborative partnerships with local, national, regional, international, public and private institutions facilitating the open exchange of ideas, information, and technology between many disciplines and regions.
RAPS posting date 05/30/2019
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Submit your application, curriculum vitae and list of references.
Proposed Start Date 07/01/2019
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer —Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.
Quick Link http://pa334.peopleadmin.com/postings/3358