Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds, leases, and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world. Developing, operating, and managing the data center infrastructure and facilities the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility, and capital and operational cost efficiency in a safe working environment.
Facebook is seeking a Water Engineer to support cross-functional programmatic and project efforts for the large and growing water global Data Center portfolio during pre-development, construction, and operations phases. This position will report directly to the Environment & Water Manager on the Energy, Environment & Site Selection Team and will work closely with our Water Specialists. This position is full-time and located in our Fremont and Menlo Park offices. Some travel is needed to visit our data center sites to better understand design and operations and meet site teams.
- Assist with pre-development water planning efforts, including supporting the preparation of water, wastewater, and flood risk assessments for our data center site selection efforts
- Coordinate and monitor the development of offsite water restoration infrastructure projects
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase water and wastewater efficiency and resiliency of our operations, including wastewater reuse, zero liquid discharge, water emergency planning, and water monitoring
- Support the development of Integrated Water Management Plans for each of our data center sites
- Calibrate water and wastewater projections with actual operational performance
- Conduct technical reviews of civil and process water design packages at key milestone windows
- Track water and wastewater infrastructure construction in coordination with our construction management quality control and quality assurance program
- Develop and maintain Facebook’s water and wastewater infrastructure asset management program
- Coordination of water and wastewater infrastructure systems across Facebook’s organizations (including data centers, facilities, AR/VR, etc.)
- Track and monitor new and emerging design changes within Facebook and externally in global water industry and report on these
- Develop training and educational tools regarding water goals, compliance, and awareness for diverse Facebook teams
- Monitor state and local policies that could affect water
- Assist in facilitating the growth of the water program within Facebook Data Centers as the company continues to grow and build environmental excellence
- Provide water engineering expertise to diverse internal teams and coordinate with other teams about relevant issues and requirements, including construction, operations, sustainability, and Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) teams
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (up to 10%)
- Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in water engineering, water resources management, hydrogeology, or water and wastewater infrastructure projects
- P.E. in civil or environmental engineering or related field
- Experience in industrial water use and wastewater discharge, water efficiency techniques, or water policy and permitting
- Experience in program management
- Experience managing multiple projects and coordinating with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working with teams and establishing and maintaining cross-functional and working relationships
- Experience preparing and presenting water challenges to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience in data management software and tools (Excel, Python, R, SQL, Tableau, or MATLAB)
- Experience working with water utilities
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at .