Who we are
The Export Legislation and Policy team has policy responsibility for the Export Control Act 2020 (the Act), which commenced on 28 March 2021. The Act is the result of extensive internal and external stakeholder engagement (including with trading partners) and underpins the department’s exporting arrangements. The team is responsible for collaborating and partnering with commodity areas across the department to ensure that the Export Control Legislative Framework is fit for purpose, efficient and meets user needs. Where possible, we also promote consistency in legislative amendments and policy outcomes by providing policy guidance and support to program areas to improve regulatory effectiveness and maturity. Our team works closely with all areas of the Agricultural Trade Group, as well as the Legal and Compliance Divisions, to strengthen our export system and improve our regulatory performance.
The duties include:
• assisting and supporting team members to develop and implement legislative amendments
• preparing departmental and ministerial briefings and advice materials
• preparing communications and consultative materials for internal and external stakeholders
• assisting in ongoing reform work in relation to the Export Control legislative framework, including digital transformation and mapping of regulatory processes
• administering training on the new legislation framework in conjunction with policy areas to build on our regulatory and compliance performance
• assisting in the development of a toolkit to support regulatory functions to ensure the department’s activities are properly undertaken and lawful
• providing advice, briefings and support for senior management to enable sound and informed decision-making
• supervising junior staff, where required.
What we are looking for
Knowledge and experience
The ideal applicant will have:
• strategic or legal policy and/or legislative development, advice and implementation experience
• experience working collaboratively in a complex and fast paced environment
• compliance and regulation experience in policy analysis and an understanding of Australia’s trade policies and export system (beneficial but not essential)
• stakeholder management and engagement experience.
For additional information, please read the Job Description below.
How to apply: