NRC in Ukraine
The Norwegian Refugee Council has been present in Ukraine since 2014, helping more than 700,000 people with food, shelter, water, sanitation, and legal assistance. The rapid change of situation in February 2022 during which the whole of Ukraine became affected by the conflict required a significant scale-up of emergency programmes. Today NRC is providing support to people affected by armed conflict and those fleeing in search of safety.
Prior to the escalation in armed conflict in February, NRC’s operations focused on government-controlled areas (GCA) of the Donbas Region (Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts). Following the February 2022 invasion, NRC has implemented a temporary relocation of NRC’s staff and operations to Central and Western Ukraine. NRC will continue to support populations in the East through our office in Dnipro with emergency, life-saving food, NFI and emergency shelter assistance to people trapped in hot zones. In the West, NRC established area offices in Lviv and Ternopil, with the country office based in Kyiv. Additionally, NRC is looking to establish additional field offices in the north and east of the country. The Western response will focus on assisting people on the move with cash and ICLA services and provide multi-sectoral support to key transit points. The Eastern response is focusing on the provision of shelter assistance, ICLA, livelihoods and food security, WASH, and protection assistance.
We are seeking highly qualified, resilient, dynamic professionals to respond to Ukraine crisis and support people in Ukraine.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Purpose of the role
The Shelter/WaSH Technical Officer – specializes in technical support on essential services in urban and rural settings (construction, water supply, wastewater, energy systems) and he/she is responsible for assessing, planning, designing and supervising projects in those contexts.
The purpose of the Shelter/WaSH Technical Officer position is to ensure that repair and rehabilitation projects are implemented according to NRC standards and procedures and national regulations.
What you will do
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure compliance with NRC Ukraine strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards.
- Ensure that all Shelter/WaSH projects (repair, rehabilitation and/or reconstruction) are implemented in a timely manner and according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans, and in line with NRC policies and donor requirements.
- Specific technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of project activities.
- Specific technical responsibility for project documentation of technical activities of Shelter/WaSH project(s).
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building for project staff.
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options.
- Contribute to Shelter/WaSH-specific protection risks and needs analyses.
- Ensure that the project is implemented in adherence to the requirements of the partnership agreement.
- Contribute to designing of protection response to identified risks and needs.
Specifically you will;
- Do structural assessments of buildings and WaSH facilities and propose technical solutions for materials/equipment/NFI assistance, repair, rehabilitation and/or reconstruction, and provide technical information for the development of work plans, technical specifications, bills of quantities (BoQs), cost estimates, structural drawings (CAD) and tender documents for procurement of construction services.
- Review and analyze contract claims and variation orders, assess the completion of works, and prepare recommendations for payments, and interim and final payment certificates.
- Provide technical support to contractors and beneficiaries, supervise construction works, and ensure that the quality of materials and workmanship is according to technical specifications.
- Involve and inform communities and local authorities about the activities and ensure that all projects are in line with national guidelines and regulations.
- Provide support, as required, to municipalities and other public bodies (particularly those lacking proper construction and procurement sections) on project design and engineering.
- Coordination with humanitarian organizations and other relevant partners regarding project implementation.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and assess new and better ways to assist.
- Ensure that distribution of materials and equipment is done in a timely manner and according to procedures.
- Ensure correct data tracking for all interventions and prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required.
- Assist and support the direct line manager in drafting reports of any kind.
- Assist with any other duties assigned by the line manager as and when required.
- Experience in technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Previous experience in complex and volatile contexts.
- 2 years of experience working as a civil engineer, knowledge of BoQ, norms and standards of construction works, including critical social infrastructures is desirable.
- Technical degree and expertise in architecture or engineering: civil, structural, electro-mechanical, hydrogeology, environmental, energy or related fields.
- Knowledge of computer programs: MS Word, MS Excel, AutoCAD.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to perform under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize a complex workload and to work autonomously as needed.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Fluency in Ukrainian/Russian and in English, both written and verbal is required.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful situations with respect for basic security rules.
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
What We Offer
This position is open for Ukranian Nationals Only
We offer an opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause and a chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields.
We are also looking for people who share our values:
- To be dedicated in what we do;
- To be innovative with our solutions;
- To act as one unified and inclusive team;
- To be accountable to the donors that make our work possible; the people we exist to serve, and to each other… the members of our NRC family.
We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be screened on a rolling basis.