Date: Aug 19, 2022
Location: Incheon, South Korea (ICN), KR
Company: Green Climate Fund
Grade: IS – 7
Deadline: 11 September 2022 (11:59 PM KST)
Location: Songdo, Incheon, South Korea
Salary: USD 175,600 net (plus attractive benefits, that include the following allowances (as appliable): Relocation, housing, dependency, education assistance and home country travel)
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their people. Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions that reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change. Since its establishment, the GCF has approved 196 projects in 123 countries and has committed USD 10.4 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries to identify their needs, in particular, those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts. The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff makes unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
The Deputy Director of External Affairs, reporting to the Director of External Affairs, is responsible for day-to-day management of key functions of the Division of External Affairs, including resource mobilization,strategic relations of the fund, and integrated and strategic approaches to communications and outreach. S/he is responsible for cultivating, building and nurturing strategic partnerships, alliances and funding partners that are essential for advancing the mission of GCF and strengthening its global positioning.
Duties and responsibilities
• Identify, engage and secure support from a range of funding partners, including governments, international and national agencies, multilateral institutions, non-governmental organizations, foundations and private sector
• Build positive relationship between the Fund and countries, with the UN and other multilateral organizations, contributors, other public and private sector partners to broaden the Fund’s global reach
• Deliver integrated and strategic approaches to communications and outreach
• Advise on innovative approaches and strategies for catalyzing and engaging key stakeholders at national and international levels; helps the Fund to prioritize and nurture strategic partnerships
• Oversees strategic engagements with existing and emerging contributors
• Oversees the development and implementation of the Fund’s communication strategy in order to broaden the understanding of the Fund’s distinctive mandate and recognition of the brand and deliver strong common messaging to external and internal stakeholders
• Develop and implement a comprehensive resource mobilization, outreach, communications and public relations strategy
• Support the Divisions in maintaining effective partnerships with potential funders and partners through advocacy and the promotion of the Fund’s interests.
Required experience and qualifications*
• Master’s or higher-level degree; or a Bachelor’s degree with 2 additional years of experience.
• 15 years or more experience in international relations or strategic communications and outreach; including international organizations
• Relevant experience in resource mobilization and/or building partnerships and outreach
• Experience in managing teams
• Works well in a high paced and quickly evolving environment
• Strong management skills; effective outreach and advocacy skills; strong project management or organizational skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; knowledge of another UN language an advantage
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing, and references. Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.