Geospatial Analyst (Trainee)
OVERVIEW (QUICK DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT AND ITS CONTEXT)
Area of Specialization/Thematic Areas: Geo-information, Remote Sensing, Humanitarian Disaster Mapping, GIS web applications
UNOSAT is the operational satellite applications programme of the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR). It is a technology-intensive programme active since 2001 in applied research and innovative applications related to geospatial information technology and satellite analysis, and mapping.
UNOSAT also delivers tailor made training courses to its beneficiaries on the use of geo-information technology for humanitarian aid, human security, disaster risk management, territorial planning and environmental monitoring. The trainee will work for a period of six months with the UNOSAT disaster mapping team and will support the programme´s ongoing satellite-based monitoring and rapid mapping activities following major disaster events.
GENERAL OBJECTIVES OF THE CONTRACT
The trainee will support UNOSAT’s teams in the delivery of satellite-based and GIS analysis, maps and data
RESPONSIBILITIES/DESCRIPTION OF PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
The trainee will contribute towards the above mentioned areas of activity by:
- Undertaking GIS and RS analysis such flood assessment, impact analysis and damage assessment from both radar and/or optical images including the production of maps, situation reports and web services
- Perform geometric processing, calibration and atmospheric corrections of radar data for hydrological applications including floods delineation;
- Production of multi-temporal satellite analyses using Google Earth Engine processing tools;
- Developing basic tools/codes under Google Earth Engine for rapid mapping
- Digitizing information from satellite imagery, developing geodatabases with relevant content, and producing UNOSAT maps and reports utilizing imagery and geospatial data.
- Creation of digital terrain models from very high resolution via stereoscopic optical images using the dedicated software’s (e.g. ENVI);
- Test and develop tools and methodologies for rapid mapping applications using QGIS;Undertaking applied research work on an ongoing basis to, for example, provide background information on disaster-related humanitarian and human security crises, search for and identify relevant satellite imagery from online catalogues, develop analytical methods for multispectral imagery, extract geospatial information from social media sites, and much more.
- Performing any other duties as required.
By the end of the traineeship, the incumbent will:
- Gain practical experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and satellite imagery to support Disaster Risk Reduction activities, Post Disaster Needs Assessment and Humanitarian Response Operations;
- Increase knowledge in the use of Geo-Spatial Information Technology (applications, users and integrated solutions) to support the UN system, its Member States including international and non-governmental organizations;
- Gain practical experience in the identification of suitable geospatial data including the satellite imagery used for disaster response;
- Apply time and management skills in order to respect tight deadlines.
MEASURABLE OUTPUTS/DELIVERABLES/SCHEDULE OF DELIVERABLES
- Ensure timely production of high quality geo-spatial analysis as required to support emergency response operations;
- Apply appropriate methods for feature extraction of reliable from satellite images and creation of geographic datasets (vector files) as results of satellite data analyses according to the standards and formats used by UNOSAT;
- Ensure timely updates of databases, data sharing platforms and web services
- Timely dissemination of the analysis results through:
- Production of high quality PDF maps and/or live maps that meet with UNOSAT standards using ArcGIS and/or QGIS software’s
- Production of basic Google Earth Engine scripts
- Production of situation reports and basic statistics resulting from the geospatial analyses
- Drafting of e-news, tweets and communication material when required
PERFORMANCE INDICATORS FOR EVALUATION OF RESULTS
- Quality geo-spatial analysis including maps, GIS databases and reports produced and delivered according to defined deadlines.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Specialist in charge of Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Mapping and Climate Services the incumbent will report to the Programme Analyst in charge of Rapid Mapping Activations.
Applicants should hold postgraduate studies in Geographic Information System (GIS), Remote Sensing or a related field.
Successful applicants will have an interest in disaster risk management, disaster risk reduction, humanitarian, environmental, international humanitarian affairs or development issues. Good skills in GIS software, in particular ArcMap and/or QGIS, are required.
Experience with remote sensing and image processing using ESRI software, ERDAS Imagine, ENVI, or an equivalent software packages are desired, including the ability to program in Python and undertake web development or server administration tasks. High proficiency in English language is desired.
General conditions of contracts for the service of trainees apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Only complete applications will be considered. A letter of motivation as well as Curriculum Vitae are to be sent at , Subject: Traineeship Position – UNOSAT Disaster Mapping. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.