Manager (Infrastructure and Climate Change)
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies and other partners to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s 25 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to say that we have a team of some of the most talented and motivated people in the industry working in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
BSR is also a founding partner of the We Mean Business coalition, a group of business-facing networks and think tanks that collectively works with thousands of businesses and investors to accelerate the transition to a low carbon economy. BSR is proud to play an active role in the policy engagement, corporate engagement, and communications work of the coalition.
The Manager, Infrastructure and Climate Change, will be a key team member driving forward BSR’s infrastructure and climate change work, which includes advisory services work with companies, thought leadership and research, collaborative initiatives, and overall practice management.
On infrastructure, BSR works broadly with a variety of companies in the energy, extractives, industrials, utilities, transportation, and logistics industries. The Manager will be expected to work across all infrastructure industries to lead on business development activities, project execution, and membership services, primarily in the U.S. but also globally when needed. More specific focuses of the position will depend on the successful candidate’s particular infrastructure expertise.
On climate change, BSR works with our member companies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build resilience to unavoidable climate impacts, advancing the goals of the Paris Agreement. The Manager will work closely with BSR’s global climate team to build, align, and execute our portfolio of work. More specific focuses of the position will depend on the successful candidate’s particular climate expertise.
This position is full-time, based in either San Francisco (preferred) or New York, and reports to both the Managing Director, Infrastructure and Finance, and the Director, Climate Change. BSR will not consider candidates who will not be based in one of these two cities and would like to work remotely.
- Member Services: The Manager will work with BSR members on an individual and collective basis to ensure the membership value proposition is met. This requires close cooperation with other BSR departments, areas of expertise, and regions around the world. Typical member services activities include quarterly and annual member meetings, short-answer research, and on-demand advisory support.
- Project Implementation: The Manager will play a key role in BSR’s delivery of consulting services, collaborative initiatives, and applied research on infrastructure and climate change. The successful candidate will design and manage infrastructure and climate projects for individual companies, and manage complex grant-funded projects with multiple workstreams. In addition, the Manager will align and operationalize synergies between infrastructure and climate streams of work.
- Thought Leadership and External Representation: The Manager will keep up with the latest developments on private sector sustainable infrastructure and climate action, identify leading topics, and contribute to BSR’s published thought leadership in the area. He or she will represent the infrastructure and climate practice to external audiences, including at BSR Conference.
- Business Development: The Manager will pursue business development opportunities in collaboration with BSR’s industry and area of expertise directors. He or she will also contribute to the recruitment of member companies to BSR and to our climate-related collaborative initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, law, public affairs, or other relevant discipline required. Master’s preferred.
- 7-10 years of relevant professional experience from a top-tier consulting firm, NGO working with business, or within the private sector, e.g. a CSR/sustainability department, corporate affairs, or business development.
- Significant infrastructure experience (at least 3 years) required. Demonstrated expertise in the infrastructure industries and the range of material issues to corporations in these industries. It is likely that the successful candidate will not be an expert in all infrastructure industries (defined by BSR as energy, extractives, industrials, utilities, transportation, and logistics industries), but would be expected to have deep expertise in at least one, and preferably more than one.
- Significant climate experience (at least 3 years) required. Demonstrated expertise on how the private sector addresses climate change, as well as on the landscape of other climate stakeholders.
- Specialist climate expertise on corporate procurement of renewable energy, transportation fuels, and/or climate risk assessment and management, is a plus.
- Outstanding project management skills required, including the demonstrated ability to manage long-term consulting projects, to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, and to deliver for clients and funders.
- Leadership and management skills, including the ability to mentor other team members.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Willingness to undertake business travel (up to 20% of time).
- Language skills: Fluent in English, with an additional language from a region in which BSR is based a plus.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment.
- Collaborative mindset and the intellectual agility to work with companies across various industries, and with colleagues who are expert on other sustainability issues.
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of Leadership, Respect and Integrity.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation.
As part of our dedication to diversity, BSR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at BSR are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.