Job Posting: 06/Jul/2022
Closure Date: 10/Sep/2022, 12:59:00 AM
Organizational Unit: NFIGD
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition: Consultant / PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Primary Location: Home-Based
Duration: Up to 11 months (renewable)
Post Number: N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply;
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM) is a regional fisheries management organization (RFMO) established under the provisions of Article XIV of the FAO Constitution. The main objective of the GFCM is to promote the development, conservation, rational management and best utilization of living marine resources as well as the sustainable development of aquaculture in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea.
To this end, the GFCM formulates and recommends appropriate measures for the conservation and rational management of living marine resources and the sustainable development of aquaculture. It ensures these recommendations are implemented, promotes and carries out training, research and development activities, in addition to cooperation and technical assistance in these fields, and collects, publishes and disseminates information.
To further support these endeavours, the GFCM adopted the GFCM 2030 Strategy towards the sustainability of Mediterranean and Black Sea fisheries and aquaculture, as a regional reply to the objectives enshrined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 14 and the FAO Strategic Objective 2, in order to ensure through Target 3 the sustainable development of the aquaculture sector, its resilience against global challenges such as climate change and its contribution to sustainable food systems. Its achievement is supported by four expected outputs: i) Efficient governance promoted in support of responsible investment; ii) Practices supporting the sustainability of the aquaculture industry promoted; iii) Perception of aquaculture improved; iv) Technology and information systems maximized
Purpose of the call for expression of interest
The purpose of this call is to attract global talent for the Consultant and Personal Services assignments that may provide support for aquaculture projects and technical support processes in the GFCM region. The assignment shall be home-based, with potential travel. The Global call will create a roster of Applicants that will be used to identify candidates for relevant assignments.
The assignment can be from 1 month up to 11 months. The possibility of extension is subject to satisfactory performance and depending on the resources and needs of the Organization.
The Aquaculture Specialist reports to the GFCM Aquaculture Officer and to the GFCM Executive Secretary. She/he closely collaborates with relevant staff at the GFCM Secretariat and in the Aquaculture Department.
Support the implementation of work programmes related to sustainable aquaculture development, in line with the mandate of the GFCM and the GFCM 2030 Strategy, that seek to maximize the impacts of aquaculture on GFCM Members’ economic, social and environmental objectives, including food security and nutrition, and help meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) targets within the FAO Strategic Framework and priority programmes, such as the Blue Transformation.
Tasks and responsibilities
The tasks and responsibilities of each selected Consultant or PSA will be defined in the Terms of Reference for the specific assignment. In general, depending on the specific assignment, designated tasks and responsibilities will normally include a number of the following elements:
• Provide technical inputs for the implementation of the GFCM 2030 Strategy Target 3 towards the sustainability of Mediterranean and Black Sea aquaculture and its outputs;
• Support the provision of technical guidance on sustainable development of aquaculture in the Mediterranean and the Black Sea, including inter alia aquaculture policy and governance, responsible investment, best practices towards improving the footprint of aquaculture, climate change mitigation, aquatic animal health and biosecurity, innovation and technology, value chain and market access;
• Provide substantial support for the planning and organization of relevant events and activities in relation to the GFCM and the Scientific Committee for Aquaculture (CAQ) work programme;
• Support to documentation of guidelines and best practices on sustainable aquaculture. Participate in project proposal development on sustainable aquaculture;
• Edit and revise technical and scientific documents and publications where appropriate;
• Perform any other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University or specialized degree (only for PSA) in natural, social and economic sciences including any of the following fields: aquaculture, fisheries or natural resources management, aquaculture/fisheries or natural resources economics, environmental studies or related discipline, or in other field related to the work of the Organization.
• At least ten years of relevant professional experience;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic (for Consultants). Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, possibly with focus on the Mediterranean and/or Black Sea region
• Extent of experience in the relevant fields
• Extent and relevance of experience in providing technical support in regional, national, and local levels
• Drafting and communication skills
• Level of experience in aquaculture-related fields
• Level of knowledge of the functioning of Regional Fisheries Management Organizations (RFMOs)
• Experience in working with international and intergovernmental organizations, preferably in connection with the Mediterranean and Black Sea region
• Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines
• Thoroughness, reliability and autonomy
• Level of communications skills (both oral and written) and drafting skills in relevant languages
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY
• To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
• Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
• Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
• Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
• Incomplete applications will not be considered
• Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
• Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
• Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
• We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT