Senior Media Officer
Want to use your skills in PR and communications to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere?
Join WaterAid as Senior Media Officer to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good. On top of that you'll be joining a 2018 Great Place to Work® award-winning organisation.
The WaterAid Media team team sits within the Communications and Fundraising directorate and advises WaterAid on media relations strategy, leads all interaction with the UK and international media, and supports country programmes on media relations. The team works with communications and media officers in our country programmes and other WaterAid federation members in Australia, Canada, Sweden, Japan and the United States.
The team is composed of a Global Head of Media, a PR Manager, a Global News Manager, a Celebrity Manager and four Senior Media Officers. Senior Media Officers work across both PR and news projects, from fundraising appeals and work with celebrity ambassadors to our research reports, policy findings and campaigning moments - all in support of WaterAid's mission to ensure everyone, everywhere has clean water, basic sanitation and good hygiene.
As our creative and ambitious Senior Media Officer, you will provide expert media handling advice and to carry out media work, including protection and promotion of WaterAid reputation and issues in the media, both in the UK and internationally.
In this role, you will drive, develop and implement media strategies to achieve organisational communications objectives, including fundraising appeals, celebrity support, advocacy campaigns and policy work and key corporate partnerships both proactively and reactively as appropriate.
- Advise WaterAid staff up to the Chief Executive (in consultation with the relevant manager or Global Head of Media) on communicating through the media, whether proactively or reactively and on the risks and opportunities of external messaging.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with relevant journalists, broadcasters and commentators in the local, UK and international media and widen interest in WaterAid's work.
- Help drive WaterAid's online media work and engage with bloggers, online journalists and social media influencers
- Evaluate and report back on key campaigns to the team and rest of the organisation when required
- Write copy as required for print and web outlets, in-house or external.
- Brief journalists on and off the record, arrange radio and TV interviews where necessary and brief staff in preparation.
- Monitor and evaluate media coverage and make recommendations to the managers.
- Join the 24/7 on-call rota and be prepared for some work outside normal office hours, such as when preparing for major news stories and international conferences.
- Undertake any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required.
To be successful, you'll need:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent work experience
- Excellent command of written English to produce written media work of high quality.
- Proven experience of working in an in-house press office / PR agency or as a journalist.
- Proven experience of liaising with journalists of all levels
- Proven ability to devise and implement proactive campaigns with examples or equivalent high profile work as a journalist.
- Understanding of how the media can be used as an influencing tool - whether to encourage fundraising and engagement or influence decision makers.
- Proven ability to think 'outside the box' and so generate a wide range of media coverage
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of online and social media
- Ability to handle multiple projects and a variety of work simultaneously
- Excellent verbal communication skills. Ability to forge effective working relationships within the team and with colleagues from across the organisation.
- Proven ability to take initiative, prioritise workload and work under pressure.
WaterAid benefits include:
- 36 days holiday (including Bank Holidays)Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave We offer a generous pension plan with employer contribution of up to 10%Flexible working conditionsSeason Ticket LoanFree annual eye testsPay as You Earn training scheme Pay as You Give charitable giving scheme
We are unable to provide sponsorship for this post. In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the UK.
Salary: £33,000 with excellent benefits
Applications will close one minute before midnight on 30 June 2019. Availability for interview is required w/c 8 July 2019.