Associate (Water Practice)
About Environmental Incentives
Environmental Incentives works to enhance the environment that sustains healthy communities. We empower leaders to maximize their effectiveness using Performance-Driven Conservation® tools and practices. Since 2004, we have become a leading advisor on natural resource programs and policies across the country and internationally. Environmental Incentives is a small business and certified B Corporation.
Environmental Incentives is seeking to hire an Associate to join our municipal water resources team, working at an office in San Diego, CA starting immediately. The position will initially include substantial travel to Lake Tahoe for training and will continue to require travel within Southern California for the duration of the job. This position is a full-time Associate focused on stormwater and watershed program development.
Our municipal water resources team designs programs that help communities meet water quality goals. All staff must be able to work effectively on multiple project teams that include internal staff, partner organizations, clients, and stakeholders. Associates serve as the primary producer and manager for products, creating high-quality products and prolifically contributing creative ideas. Associates:
- Work with leaders. Be a part of a collaborative team, working alongside recognized thought leaders who are reshaping the way conservation is done. Develop new skills and insights by working with teams representing diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Produce enduring products. Lead the development of targeted, useful, and long-lived products that influence decision-makers. This means bringing forth new ideas while being flexible to modify based on feedback from others.
- Provide synthesized research findings. Take on large, complicated research and analytical tasks in a solution-oriented manner, driving to clearly communicated and synthesized findings and valuable insights.
- Manage relationships. Confidently and frequently interact with clients and partners on product development, listening and collaboratively creating value.
- Contribute to company culture and operations. Be fully engaged in strategy and operations, contributing insights and new ideas to improve or grow the company.
Environmental Incentives seeks talented, creative and inspired professionals who want to grow as individuals and impactful conservation leaders. Associates are expected to have 3+ years of related professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and professional experience. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We carefully differentiate our minimum qualifications, preferred skills, and necessary characteristics for success.
- Alignment with Environmental Incentives’ core principles and culture
- Ability to live in San Diego, CA after an initial training period at the headquarters office in South Lake Tahoe
- Clarity of thought and strong work ethic
- Effective and organized verbal and written communication
- Ability to create new and innovative ideas
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively with others
- Ability to constructively receive and give critical feedback
- Flexibility to contribute to multiple projects and manage multiple priorities
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience working with or for municipal water resource agencies
- Knowledge of California stormwater policies and permit requirements
- Economic analysis and incentive design
- Knowledge of or experience with public and private funding programs, conservation finance, impact investing and project-level financial analysis
- Local government budgeting and budget management responsibilities
- Adaptive management and learning program design
- Perspective on operations and maintenance or water quality monitoring
- Development of quantification tools for assessing water quality change
Environmental Incentives offers a competitive benefits package that includes annual leave, holiday and sick time, retirement plan options, professional development opportunities and health coverage. Salaries depend on qualifications and location. The starting annual salary range for this opportunity is in the low- to mid-range or our Associate I-IV position titles. Salary rates for Associate I-IV range from $56,650 to $83,600, depending on experience and qualifications.
How To apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume on our careers page with “Associate, Water Practice” as the position title. Candidates will be reviewed as applications are received and the position will be filled as soon as the appropriate candidate is identified.
What happens next?
While resumes and cover letters allow us to screen for certain characteristics, they don’t always let us know who you are and the particular qualities and skills you possess. Therefore, qualified candidates will be asked to complete a writing and spreadsheet exercise to showcase your clarity of thought, verbal and written communication, and ability to create new and innovative ideas. Successful completion of these exercises will enable high-quality candidates to interview with the Environmental Incentives team.
Environmental Incentives is an Equal Opportunity Employer
We are committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and skill is valued in individuals, our business goals, and our mission.