Job No: 22248
Department: Great Lakes Research Center
Work Type: Staff – Full Time
Location: Main Campus (Houghton, MI)
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Categories: Sciences, Research
Department: Great Lakes Research Center
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or [email protected].
|Job Description Summary||The Great Lakes Research Center (GLRC) at Michigan Technological University (Michigan Tech) promotes collaborative, multidisciplinary research across the College of Computing, the College of Engineering, the College of Sciences and Arts, the College of Business, and the College of Forest Resources and Environmental Sciences. The GLRC supports research development and implementation for more than 100 affiliated faculty and researchers and serves as a non-academic department for research administration and technical staff, and a growing team of research scientists. The Institute is seeking to hire a research scientist in coupled regional climate and hydrodynamic modeling to: 1) support an existing portfolio of research, 2) seek and secure their own externally funded research, 3) contribute to others’ research portfolios, and 4) provide on-campus and external outreach to help foster Institute growth.|
The GLRC is looking for an individual with the knowledge and skills to join its growing team of research scientists. This position is 80% soft funded and 20% department funded. During the first year of employment the hired individual will be expected to assist with existing funded research for a variety of federal and international agencies. Annual contract renewal is contingent upon securing additional project funding.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)||1. Building relationships with future research clients|
2. Summarizing and presenting findings in reports, journal articles, and conference presentations
3. Supporting and leading the development of new research proposals
4. Contribute to the Institute’s mission to support and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion across the University community
5. Contribute to scholarship in the area of regional climate and hydrodynamic modeling
6. Contribute to outreach in the area of regional climate and hydrodynamic modeling
|Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)||Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering|
|Required Experience (minimum requirements)||1. Experience conducting literature reviews, writing technical reports, and scientific papers|
2. Experience in high-performance computing
3. Strong background in hydrodynamic modeling across the Great Lakes, specifically experience with the NU-WRF Regional Climate Model and the 3-D Lake Model (FVCOM) for ecosystem simulation
4. Minimum of one year related professional experience beyond degree
5. Strong record of scientific exchange through presentations
|Desirable Education and/or Experience||1. Experience serving as a PI/co-PI in research|
2. Record of publication in multiple peer-reviewed scientific journals with a minimum of three as first author
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)||1. Knowledge of natural processes including climate change, lake level forecasting, open and ice-covered water modeling|
2. Ability to support research requiring permanent residency or US citizenship
3. Demonstrated commitment to cultivating equitable and inclusive learning and working environments for students, faculty, and staff
4. Demonstrated ability to clearly convey ideas orally and in writing with through conference presentations and at least one peer-reviewed publication
5. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
6. Strong oral and written communication skills
7. Demonstrated organizational, project management, and time management skills
8. Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems
9. Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, as both the leader and as an active participant
10. Demonstrated ability to use judgment when dealing with confidential information11. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities|
|Work Environment and/or Physical Demands||This position may require travel; may require long workdays; may require evening and weekend work to meet deadlines; and requires ability to lift in excess of 25 lbs. This is a remote position.|
|Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment||Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.Required University Training:Employee Safety OverviewAnti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation TrainingAnnual Data Security Training Annual Title IX Training|
Background Check: Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment: The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
|Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%)||100%|
|Pay Rate/Salary||Negotiable, No less than $75,000|
|Title of Position Supervisor||Director, GLRC|
|Posting Type||Internal and External|
|Dependent on Funding||Yes|
Advertised: 24 Aug 2022 Eastern Daylight Time