Position Location: Flexible UK
Country: United Kingdom
Contract Type: Permanent
Work Pattern: Full time, Part time
Discipline: Environment, Water
Job Ref: 58659BR
Recruiter Contact: Tim Penlington
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it’s employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
We are looking for a director to grow our water and wastewater project preparation and definition capability pulling together expertise across Mott MacDonald.
This is a senior position in Mott MacDonald and as well as requiring technical expertise will also require the candidate to take online management and technical mentoring responsibilities. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to develop and grow our team and workload.
Our Water Consultancy Division employs around 520 people who are based in offices across the UK. The division services five key sub-sectors Asset Management and Infrastructure Planning (AMIP), Water Resources and Flooding, Treatment, Pipelines & Networks and Dams & Reservoirs. In addition to these sub-sectors the consultancy business is strengthening its offering in Digital, Carbon, Natural based solutions and climate resilience in response to government legislation and environmental challenges.
This role will lead the development of optioneering studies strategy for WCD and will build a centralised optioneering studies team:
- Business Development:
Work with Account Managers to develop our service offering for optioneering studies – liaising directly with clients to understand client requirements and to explain our offering. Bidding on projects and securing work to keep a team busy. Identifying opportunities for follow on work.
- Strategy Development:
Determine the level of achievable growth and work with resourcing managers across WCD to determine the resourcing strategy to achieve levels of growth. Identify focus areas developing capabilities to meet existing and emerging client needs.
- Technical delivery: Lead a team to deliver a programme of complex studies ensuring high quality outputs and maintaining client relationships.
- Technical Mentoring: Take on a technical mentoring role within the studies team, supporting the development more junior team members.
- Commercial success: work with divisional commercial manager, project managers and project principals to ensure commercial success of studies projects.
- Resourcing: Work with the Resourcing Managers across all sub-sectors to build and grow a team both from within MM and by recruitment and manage day to day project inputs
- Proven track record of developing business opportunities with clients at a Senior Level within the Client organisation
- Experience of delivering complex optioneering studies and teams
- Experience of managing and mentoring teams
- Proven track record in winning and delivering UK water and wastewater optioneering projects
- Knowledge of UK water and wastewater industry statutory planning frameworks
- Track record in delivering commercially successful projects
- Water and wastewater optioneering experience broad knowledge of engineering solutions and understanding of wider nature-based and systems solutions
- Experience in costing options and in portfolio optimisation
- Experience of working with digital, social, environmental and systems teams to deliver a common outcome.
- Ability to build networks across different subsectors, divisions and offices
If you meet 80% or more of what we’re looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn’t know we need.
The Asset Management and Infrastructure Planning team in Mott MacDonald’s Water Consultancy business provides strategic, tactical and operational asset management services to utilities, regulators, multilateral and commercial lenders, government organisations and research bodies. These services include strategy development, asset management planning, utility performance improvement, regulatory advisory services, investment appraisal, water resource and resilience plans and water and wastewater strategic studies.
These services are delivered to clients from multiple sectors in the UK and internationally by our mobile, highly motivated team of professionals.
In AMIP we have a national team of 50 including key areas of water resources, asset management strategic advisory, regulation and assurance, decision support tools, biosolids, water feasibility, contracts and international.
The role will require candidates to work closely with all Water Consultancy sub-sectors as well as other Mott MacDonald Divisions including Environmental and Social, Digital Ventures and Advisory and Programme Delivery.
This role will start by focussing on the Water Consultancy Divisions feasibility and optioneering studies offering and will then widen out to bring together services from across Mott MacDonald. We undertake a range of water and wastewater optioneering study work, in the UK and internationally.
In the UK this can be as part of a Price Review submission, part of AMP8 Delivery or through other company studies including but not limited to Water Resource Management Plans, Drainage and Wastewater Management Plans and flooding studies.
Internationally we undertake studies working closely with our global offices for public and private sector clients including multilateral banks. We work on water and wastewater projects both within the water sector and to supply water to other sectors such as hydrogen.
Optioneering Studies consider the full range of option solutions including innovative, low carbon and nature-based solutions as well as where appropriate engineering construction solutions.
About the business unit
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott MacDonald’s Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our clients’ needs across all sectors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited – which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities – because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working – because life isn’t 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies – for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at [email protected] and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We’re a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients’ businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person’s differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence