Ethiopia nationals: WASH/Shelter Coordinator
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
- Line management of WASH and Shelter project field staff;
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures;
- Contribute to WASH and Shelter CCs strategies development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps;
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of WASH & Shelter projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from AM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality;
- Provide regular progress reports to AM;
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist;
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities;
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders;
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- To ensure minimum standards of technical quality in all activities and interventions, which are technically appropriate, realistic, in line with project specific objectives and on budget.
- Undertake contract management and tendering processes of the diverse contractors for WASH hardware and software activities.
- Plan, coordinate and implement NRC WASH and Shelter activities (Public Health Engineering, Public Health Promotion, Construction) in the Benishangul Gumuz Region.
- Ensure that assessment, programme design and implementation considers needs and vulnerabilities in Benishangul Gumuz Region.
- Ensure that WASH and Shelter programme design is informed by and integrated with NRCs’ other priority sectors of ICLA, Livelihood and Food Security (LFS), Education and Protection.
- To ensure that sustainable systems are set in place for longer-term operation and maintenance of all water and sanitation infrastructure, including the provision of all necessary training.
- Prepare and oversee the implementation process to ensure timely delivery of programme activities (for example, monitoring against log frames, individual performance management work plans).
- Prepare timely financial and narrative reports on project activities in compliance with internal NRC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Ensure appropriate management and use of NRC resources at all times
- Manage project staff on a day-to-day level working with other technical departments, security, logistics, administration and senior management staff (depending on assignment).
- Ensure that NRC’s work in WASH and Shelter programming is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government and represent organization at Interagency Coordination meetings.
- Degree in Water Engineering, Public Health, Civil Engineering, Public Health, Environmental Health, Hydrology;
- 5 years’ experience from working as a WASH or Shelter Coordinator or similar in a humanitarian/recovery context with an INGO;
- Experience in implementing integrated WASH activities (both software and hardware);
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Knowledge of the operating context in Benishangul Gumuz Region;
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage;
- Experience in use of design software’s like AutoCAD, ArcGIS and statistical packages;
- Knowledge and experience of the application of SPHERE and links to emergency and longer-term development practice;
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills.
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Strategic Thinking
- Commencement: ASAP, shortlisting and Interviews will continue as applications are received
- Contract period: Six month
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Assosa with travel to the fields