Ethiopia nationals: WASH Technical Officer (Hygiene Promotion)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is present in five regions in Ethiopia, providing refugees and internally displaced people with emergency relief and help them to rebuild their lives. NRC works within the sectors of Education, Shelter, WASH, Livelihood and Food Security, ICLA (Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance), and Child Protection.
- Ensure compliance with NRC policies, guidelines and standards
- Ensure compliance with WASH strategy, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- WASH specific technical responsibility for implementation of hygiene and sanitation activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for tracking of financial expenditures for hygiene promotion activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of project activities
- WASH specific technical responsibility for project documentation of technical activities of WASH project(s)
- Provide specific technical support and capacity building towards project staff
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to NRC representatives in coordination forums
- Assess, promote and document ideas for technical improvement and further program development options
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Ensure cross-cutting issues are incorporated into the WASH programming
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Supervise WASH activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Travel regularly to all the NRC implementation sites assessing adherence to set hygiene standards and M&E procedures.
- Assist the WASH PC in development of rapid response and contingency plans.
- Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the WASH activities.
- Support the WASH PC in ensuring implementation of the complaints mechanism and ensure feedback is timely to the beneficiaries.
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Produce at least one case study per year of the best practices in WASH programming
Generic professional competencies for this position:
- Technical background in Public Health. First degree or postgraduate diploma in Environmental Health or similar relevant discipline.
- Experience from working as a WASH Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience in implementation of both software and hardware components of WASH activities
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Expertise in WASH programming and integration with nutrition and health sectors
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Benishangul Gumuz/Oromia regions
- Knowledge of the local languages is an advantage
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Engineering sciences & technology
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: ASAP, shortlisting and Interviews will continue as applications are received
- Contract period: Six month
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Assosa with travel to the fields