Water and Wastewater Sector Specialist
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Government of Uzbekistan is receiving Technical Assistance (“TA”) from the Asia Pacific Project Preparation Facility (“AP3F”) for the preparation of a pre-feasibility study (“PFS”) and the preparation works in relation to the transfer of water supply and sewage services (“WSS”) in the cities of Samarkand, Bukhara, Namangan and Karshi to private operators under a public-private partnership (“PPP”) scheme (the “Project”).
In accordance with Presidential Decree dated 30 November 2018, the refurbishment, operation and maintenance of the WSS infrastructure in those four cities will be tendered under one or more bid packages.
The Asian Development Bank (“ADB”) is the mandated transaction advisor (“Transaction Advisor”) to the Government of Uzbekistan and will lead the preparation, structuring and procuring of the Project.
ADB’s scope of services include (i) conduct a PFS of the Project including a technical, legal and financial review of existing WSS assets and services, (ii) recommend optimal commercial and financial structure for implementation of the Project under a PPP scheme, including the optimal bundling of assets across the four cities (iii) supervising, managing, and coordinating inputs of technical, legal and other advisors appointed for the Project, (iv) support the Government in running a competitive tender process, bid evaluation and selection of preferred bidder, and providing necessary support negotiations leading to signing of the concession agreement for the Project.
Scope of Work
ADB (the “Client”) is seeking the services of a Sector Specialist (the “Consultant”) who will directly support the Government throughout the implementation of the Project and provide operational capacity building support on water and wastewater matters. The main objective of the Consultant’s assignment is to:
- Assist the Government (and as needed MHCS, the hokimiyats) on a day-to-day basis throughout the process leading to the award of the Project to successful bidders; and,
- Build up the Government’s expertise in PPPs and operational matters relating to water and wastewater, and thus strengthen capacity to develop successful PPP projects in water and wastewater sector in the future.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
The Consultant’s tasks will include but not be limited to, working with the Government and other stakeholders to:
- Assist in any areas where support is needed on a day to day basis, for the preparation of the Project, including but not limited to providing operational advice on water and wastewater matters, coordinating between government agencies and the 4 municipalities, etc.
- Share experience and lessons learned in other countries from water and wastewater PPPs as relevant to the preparation of the Project;
- Review existing setups and monitoring processes within MHCS and utilities in the 4 cities, and make recommendation on how to set up Government’s team to work with the Transaction Advisor and other consultants, and more generally to monitor and contribute to the preparation of the Project;
- Support MHCS and the transaction advisor and its consultant team on on-the ground operational support, including obtaining data from MHCS and relevant water utilities, conducting coordination activities, and other technical and operational matters as required.
- Assist the Government and other stakeholders in the review of the Transaction Advisors’ and other consultants’ milestones reports; and,
- Provide any support required by the Government or the Client, or the Transaction Advisor.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The Consultant must have experience in utilities and water PPPs for a Government agency, engineering companies, sponsors, developers, and/or technical consultants. Experience would preferably include one or more projects in Asia and involving major refurbishing and technological upgrade for WSS. Russian and English-speaking ability is required.