Deputy Project Team Leader (m/f/d): Post-Disaster and Climate Change Resilience TA in the Dominican Republic
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organization operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organization’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services participates in the European Investment Bank (EIB) tender procedure “Project Management and Capacity Building TA for the Post-Disaster and Climate Change Resilience Framework Loan in Dominican Republic”.
The overall objective of the project of which this Technical Assistance (TA) will be a part is to restore livelihoods, reduce vulnerability and increase resilience to disaster risk in the provinces of Monte Cristi, Puerto Plata, Espaillat and Duarte.
The TA operation has two specific objectives:
- Build Institutional Capacity of the executing agencies and other relevant institutions in spatial development planning and delivering climate change resilient municipal infrastructure.
- Assist the General Directorate of Multilateral Cooperation (DIGECOOM) and the executing agencies in the appraisal and implementation of EIB financed subprojects to support the reconstruction of the above named provinces.
The Deputy Team Leader (m/f/d) will support the Team Leader and act as be the primary contact for the national, provincial and municipal stakeholders in the Dominican Republic. She/he will be a Key Expert and is expected to support the Team Leader in providing leadership to the Project Team, taking responsibility for the coordinated and efficient implementation of the various components of the project as well as coordinating and managing the work of other experts.
Qualifications and skills
- Degree and/or professional qualification in economic planning, civil engineering or another relevant field.
- Proven project management skills and experience in interacting and negotiating at political and ministerial level in the Dominican Republic, as well as working with provincial and municipal authorities, preferably in the provinces targeted by the project.
- Experience in the development and implementation of multi-sector infrastructure projects (e.g. housing, social infrastructure, water and sanitation and transport) in the Dominican Republic.
- Good working command of key Microsoft Office tools (particularly Excel, Word and Power Point);
- Fluency in Spanish and working knowledge of English are mandatory.
General Professional Experience
- At least five years of expertise in projects financed by IFIs in the Dominican Republic, of which at least 2 years in infrastructure investment projects.
- Experience in spatial planning and municipal planning is required.
- Experience with technical and financial reporting procedures of IFI financed projects is required.
Specific Professional Experience
- Professional experience in at least two projects dealing with municipal infrastructure investments in the Dominican Republic and previous experience working with the Ministry of Public Works (MOPC) is required.
- Professional experience in redevelopment of areas after natural disaster or housing is an advantage.
- Extensive experience in reporting on environmental, social and governance standards in projects and/or programmes in other IFI finance projects is a definite advantage.
- Knowledge of Dominican Republic planning legislation is an advantage.
Please send us an updated CV in EuropeAid format in English.
Please note that for this position we have to apply the criteria of the EIB as the Contracting Authority. Therefore, we must regard the criteria above unless otherwise stated as minimum requirements and cannot consider applications that do not meet each of them.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
- We are a global service provider within the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. We offer you the opportunity to deploy your technical know-how at one of our locations in more than 130 countries.
- Diversity and respect are key elements of our corporate culture: GIZ promotes and supports every individual and in this way safeguards the individual opportunities for all employees, irrespective of sex, nationality or religion. Naturally, our management team is made up of both men and women.
- You will receive a medical check-up, as well as detailed advice on precautionary measures, vaccinations and malaria prevention. Every two years, you and your accompanying family members will receive a precautionary check-up. The medical service is available in emergencies for employees domiciled in Germany. It also provides advice for ergonomically designed workplaces.
- If you are required to work abroad for a period of time, you will receive an overseas supplement as reimbursement for your additional expenses. The amount of the overseas supplement depends on where you are located.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
+49 6196 79-3039