Lebanon nationals: National Environment Policy Expert
The Ministry of Environment (MoE) is the national authority in Lebanon whose prerogative is to protect the environment as stipulated in Law 216 of 1993 (amended by Law 690 of 2005) establishing the MoE, and the Environment Protection Law No. 444 of 2002. Despite important strides since it was established in 1993, it is still critical for the MoE to carry on the process of asserting its full prerogatives.
The UNDP management of the Institutional Strengthening of the MoE project aims at building the enabling environment for sustainable environmental development at the national policy-level as Lebanon faces increased environmental and natural resources pressure challenges since the influx of about 1.5 million Syrian displaced and workers since 2011. The specific objectives of the project are to:
- provide the needed support to the Ministry of Environment (MoE) to identify and assess technical needs at the national level for capacity development in environmental sustainability and
- assist in the planning and programming for sustainable environmental development.
To pursue ongoing activities, UNDP is seeking the services of an environmental policy expert on a long-term, output-based consultancy service.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant shall perform all the services/work as necessary to fulfill the objectives of the consultancy contract.
The Consultant is expected to complete the following tasks:
- Provide expert opinion on global and local environmental policy matters, including environmental conventions, protocols and treaties
- Review international and regional literature on new trends in environmental policy, with particular focus on the European Union policies, including but not limited to circular and low-carbon economy, ecosystem services, and other pertinent topics in the field
- Conduct studies related to environmental issues, including environmental compensation claims and accordingly provide recommendations
- Review selected studies prepared by the Ministry of Environment and the United Nations Development Programme and provide recommendations prior to their publication
- Undertake research and provide suggestions for environmental proposals and concept notes to be developed with the Ministry of Environment and assist in drafting these documents
- Support in the formulation of the National Sustainable Development Strategy and/or other national strategies as needed, including consultation with stakeholders
- Advise on environmental compliance from a financial perspective, including fiscal instruments
- Review the Environmental Performance Index methodology and propose suggestions to improve the methodology, if feasible, and propose concrete actions to improve Lebanon’s score
- Moderate workshops and conferences related to environmental topics and/or deliver presentations
- Assist the IS MoE project and or UNDP in any other environmental policy related issue.
For additional information, please refer to ANNEX I – Terms of Reference
- High proficiency in English and Arabic (French is an asset);
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Knowledge of the UN preferable.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in public policy, environmental management or science, environmental economics.
Years of experience:
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience.
The consultant shall have:
- Knowledge of the Lebanese public sector
- Technical knowledge in the field of environmental policy and sustainable development
- Knowledge of UNDP is an asset.
How to apply:
The consultancy is open for all national consultants (The consultancy is open for either residents in Lebanon or Lebanese Nationals) who meet the selection criteria and propose a competitive fee. Interested consultants are requested to apply only through this UNDP jobs portal.
Submissions through any other media will not be considered.
The application must include all of the following documents:
- Annex 3 (Offerors Letter) and
- Financial proposal
All files shall be submitted in one single document and uploaded as word or PDF file to the UNDP job site.
It has been observed that bidders don’t submit all requested documents and thus reducing their chance to be selected for a contract with UNDP. before you submit your offer please revise that the application is complete and comprises all documents.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.