Climate Change Operational Consultant
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is the main source of multilateral financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries.
The IDB’s Climate Change Division’s (CCS) demand for support in private and public-sector projects has grown steadily in recent years, particularly related to the operational and investment needs of the IDB Group (IDB, IDB Invest and IDB Lab) on mitigation and adaptation projects.
The current project portfolio of CCS is financed with internal and external resources. As an executing agency of the Climate Investment Funds (CIF), the IDB is in responsible through the CCS Division of several programs in the region: (i) Investment Programs for Chile, Colombia and Mexico in the context of the Clean Technology Fund (CTF); (ii) the Pilot Project for Climate Resilience (PPCR) with a regional program in the Caribbean and a national program in Bolivia; and (iii) the Honduras-based Scale-up Renewable Energy Program (SREP) for low income countries. The CCS is the focal point for the coordination and structuring of the CIFs programs, CCS also leads operations throughout the region, some of which ones were financed through SECCI founds.
The Bank is also executing projects with other external funds like those from the Global Environment Facility (GEF), Nordic Development Fund and the Green Climate Fund (GCF) in order to strengthen the agenda Adaptation and Mitigation projects in the Region.
The IDB, as one of the multilaterals in charge of managing external trust funds, has the goal of doubling the volume of its climate-related financing by 2020. To increase investments in adaptation, particularly for countries within the region that are most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, the Bank also committed to screen all relevant projects for climate risks and resilience starting in 2018.
According to this mandate and in order to maintain an open dialogue within the Bank and with its donors, the Bank seeks to hire an Operations Consultant to provide technical and administrative support for project identification, execution, monitoring and reporting of operations according to the recent guidelines derived from the convention on climate change.
The Climate Change and Sustainable Development Sector (CSD) advises Management on climate change and sustainable development and develops overall Bank policies, strategies, operational guidelines and programs in these areas. It is also responsible for conducting relevant sector research, analytical work, best sector practices and case studies on climate change and sustainability and provides specialized technical sector support to climate change and sustainability-related operations and activities.
What you’ll do:
- Provide technical and administrative support to Sector Lead Specialists and other staff members in the execution and Coordination of activities related to the execution of CIF, GCF, ACL, UKSIP, and GEF funded projects, including the knowledge management of CIF's investment outcomes.
- Manage the relationships with CIF's donors and implementers, harmonizing interests and ensuring fluent communication strategies.
- Work with the CIF Administrative Unit to ensure CIF supported activities are effectively executed and uploaded in IDB's main systems (IDBDOCS, CONVERGENCE) and monitors and evaluates new CIF operations and existing ones according to the Investment plan developed.
- Prepare, process, monitor, evaluate, report and publish climate finance, CIF, GCF GEF, and other funds, related operations and activities, including tracking progress of operations and documentation using IDB’s systems and in synergies with IDB operations.
- Provide technical support in the application of IDB’s operational policies and procedures to team members. Provides advice on how to improve internal processes.
- Lead the preparation of Project Completion Reports and Project Monitoring reports for the Climate Change Division’s projects, to ensure quality, consistency and alignment with defined guidelines and standards.
- Prepare terms of reference for the selection processes of firms and individuals and collaborate in the preparation and processing of procurement bidding documents, ensuring compliance with IDB’s policies and alignment of project activities with procurement and annual operating plans.
- Guide team members on how and where to obtain knowledge and information to resolve inquiries about policies, procedures and systems, and provides helpful advice on their interpretations.
- Develop and monitor the Climate Finance’s work plan based on goals and expected results. Additionally, define products, targets, and performance indicators (operational and/or administrative).
- Provide technical advice to the Climate Finance Coordinator and the team in managing the budget, operations, procurement processes, events and the technical contents of the project documents to ensure accuracy and compliance with operational and administrative procedures.
- Other activities as required by CIF's implementation and the Climate Finance Coordinator.
- Monitor the execution of IDB’s operations in close coordination with client’s institutions.
- Provide technical guidance in preparing documents required for execution (eg., Procurement Plan)
- Provide operational services in the overall execution of the projects, as required by each project component, following IDB’s policies and guidelines.
What you’ll Need:
- Education and Experience: Master’s degree or equivalent and a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience in areas related to Business Administration, Economics, Accounting, Finance or other relevant discipline. Experience in multi-lateral development institutions in projects management related to the areas of climate change adaptation and mitigation, renewable energies, including activities with public investors and/or institutions in the financial sector. Experience with projects in Latin-America and the Caribbean region is highly desirable. Working experience with multilateral institutions is required. Excellent knowledge of computer-based analytical tools (database management, spreadsheets, word processors, presentation, and procurement systems) and proven ability to process large volumes of non-aggregated data. The candidate should understand the business of the IDB, the roles and functions of different groups and how to get things done across the matrix. Knowledge of IDB administrative and operational policies, processes and systems is desirable.
- Areas of expertise: At Least 5 Years of proven experience and demonstrated ability to execute bank operations (Technical Cooperation, Investment Grant and Loans). Ability to provide expert advice on IDB internal operational procedures and policies toward the preparation, execution and monitoring (reports) of IDB operations. Understands the broader context of the IDB project cycle. Uses project management tools and methodologies to ensure programs, projects and grants are delivered on time and within budget, with the most efficient and strategic use of resources.
- Project Management: Experience in projects management, including schedules, organization, negotiation with beneficiaries, documentation, and support outreach operations. Experience with the monitoring operations’ statuses and disbursement levels aimed at the production of reports and the facilitation of corrective actions.
- Languages: Fluent in English and Spanish – written and oral – is required.
- Analysis and problem solving: Systematically gathers and analyzes information. Understand problems and arrive at an optimal solution. Applies technical concepts, methodologies, tools and techniques to support technical analysis and generate basic solutions/proposal;
- Planning, Organizing & Executing: Prioritizes, develops, and follows through on plans to carry out goals and objectives;
- Communications: Ability to express facts and ideas clearly and in an organized manner with good writing and editing skills in English and Spanish. Able to interact with people at all levels. Participates in unit’s operational activities by providing operational and administrative support to the Division Chief, project team leaders and project team members. Producing a variety of documents and reports using both standardized and specialized software and technical databases;
- Service Orientation: Ability to collaborate and cooperate effectively, to be flexible and willing to work extended hours,
- Teamwork: Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment and to coordinate activities with both professional and administrative staff. As required, coordinates work with others within and beyond own unit to meet business objectives.
- Type of contract: International Consultant
- Length of contract: 19 months.
- Location: Headquarters. Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Responsible person: Operation Lead Specialist, CSD/CCS, has the overall responsibility for the coordination.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48-member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.