RESEARCH PORTFOLIO MANAGER (3-year contract; Payclass 10)
African Climate and Development Initiative
Faculty of Science
Applications are invited for the post of Research Portfolio Manager, for the African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI). The ACDI is a University Research Institute that coordinates and enhances research and teaching on climate and development across UCT departments and faculties. It is also the Secretariat of the ARUA (African Research Universities Alliance) Centre of Excellence in Climate and Development (ARUA-CD).
The purpose of the Research Portfolio Manager is to support the Director and Deputy Director in developing and achieving the ACDI and ARUA-CD research strategy; identify funding opportunities, develop and maintain relationships with funders, and lead the development of large proposals to research and philanthropic funders; provide high-level oversight on all research projects managed by ACDI to ensure projects achieve their objectives and deliverables; lead on research coordination within the ARUA-CD Secretariat which is hosted by ACDI; supervise staff within the ACDI Research Portfolio to ensure that all activities within the Portfolio are completed to high quality and on time.
This is a full time, fixed term PASS positon for three years, with extension for a further two years subject to availability of funds.
- Master’s degree in related field – climate, environment, social or development studies, economics or similar
- 5 or more years of work experience in climate change/environment/development sectors
- Substantive experience in team coordination and management
- Excellent proposal writing and project management skills, including budgeting, activity tracking and report writing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Advantageous experience includes:
- Relationship management between internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of inter- and transdisciplinary research proposal writing and management
- Success in writing and winning large, complex, multi-year research proposals.
- Coordinate and contribute to the development of the Research Portfolio and ARUA-CD strategy
- Lead, coordinate and contribute to the submission of research proposals
- Support Deputy Director with research and related activities with UCT Department/ Research Units
- Monitor research project deliverables in consultation with project leaders
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders
- Act as line manager for junior portfolio staff
- Ensure that portfolio-related resources (personnel, financial and equipment) are built and maintained
The annual cost of employment, including benefits, is between R471 495 and R554 699
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in a single pdf file to Ms Tracy Moore at :
- UCT Application Form (download at http://forms.uct.ac.za/hr201.doc)
- Letter of motivation, explaining suitability for position, and reason applying; and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
Please ensure the title and reference number are indicated in the subject line.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and may be required to undergo a competency test.
For informal enquiries about the position, contact Prof Sheona Shackleton ( / 021 650 4581).
For application process enquiries, contact Ms Tracy Moore ( / 021 650 5405).
To find out more about ACDI, please look at www.acdi.uct.ac.za
Reference number: E19261
Closing date: 24 June 2019