U.S. nationals: Principal Deputy Regional Director
Reclamation is a contemporary water management agency. Reclamation is best known for Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River and Folsom Dam on the American River. Today we are the largest wholesaler of water in the country and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the western United States. Visit: http://www.usbr.gov. View our video titled "Traditions, Talent, and Teamwork" at: http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/hr/video/.
Position is being advertised concurrently under BR-DO-SL-2019-127 for current Federal employees serving under a competitive service career or career-conditional appointment, or reinstatement eligible. If you are interested in applying under both announcement numbers, you must submit application packages for each.
LOCATION: Operations, Mid-Pacific (MP) Regional Office, Sacramento, California
This position is in the Bureau of Reclamation, MP Regional Office.
The incumbent will oversee and be responsible for ensuring that Reclamation’s core mission- the delivery of water and generation of power- is achieved through the operation and maintenance of Reclamation water resources and projects within his/her area of responsibility.
Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Provide technical oversight and leadership for high priority offices and projects in order to ensure regulatory statues and regulations are met.
- Focus on specific areas within the region, functioning with a large degree of autonomy and exercising independent decision making, which enables the Regional Director to concentrate on broader program issues.
- Is responsible for the planning, formulation, and execution of Region operational program functions within his/her area of responsibility and may be called upon to give additional guidance to other issues or projects within the Region as needed.
- Provide direct line supervision to managers for the following Divisions: Environmental Affairs; Resources Management; and Planning, providing leadership and guidance. While the position is supervisory, special emphasis will be placed on providing guidance to the most technical, politically sensitive, and complicated aspects of projects within the his/her assigned areas.
- Within all of the projects he/she oversees, the incumbent will be the technical expert, not only on the delivery of water and power but will also be the MP Region’s authority on matters concerning a variety of issues that are a priority to Reclamation and the Department of the Interior. This includes but is not limited to: the impact and issues surrounding the Endangered Species Act; Operations and Maintenance; high level oversight of compliance with Presidential and Secretarial initiatives; and Asset Management.
You may be required to serve a probationary period.
Travel Required 25% or less - Travel may be required 25% or more of the time.
Supervisory status Yes
Promotion Potential None
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- This position is subject to pre-employment background investigation
- Top Secret Clearance Required
- You Must Submit a Resume and Supporting Documentation (See How to Apply)
- For Veterans Consideration, Submit Document(s) Under Required Documents
- You may be required to complete a new supervisory probationary period.
You must meet all qualification requirements, including any selective factors, by the closing date of this announcement.
All applicants must have one-year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14/15 grade levels. Examples of specialized experience include progressively technical experience that reflects in-depth, expert knowledge in the field of water and power resources management, experience working with Native American tribes, Federal, state, and local government, non-governmental organizations, compliance with statutes and regulations, development, adaptive management and conservation, which includes development and execution of strategic efforts, operations and maintenance, construction, safety, and security.
Examples of specialized experience noted above are not all inclusive but types and levels of experience that will be qualifying for this position.
- Applicant’s answers to questions will be verified against information provided in their online resume. Be sure that the resume clearly supports the responses to all the questions by addressing experience, education and/or training relevant to this position. Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. Applicants who exaggerate or falsify their experience and/or education may be removed from employment consideration.
- The applicant selected for this position will be required to file a Financial Disclosure Report, SF-278, and the supplemental form, Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interest, DI-278. All forms must be filed within 30 days after the selection for this position.
- Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. For more information visit: http://www.sss.gov.
- Equal Employment Opportunity: The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of information contained in their application/resume, comprehensive statement of experience, and their responses to the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs). An applicant's total background including experience/outside activities/training/education/awards will be reviewed.
A preliminary review of your application package will be made by the Human Resources Office to determine minimum qualifications. If you are determined to be minimally qualified, a subject matter panel will rate your application against the KSA's identified below to determine those that are best qualified and referred to the selecting official.
Failure to address the assessment questions will result in your lack of consideration for the subject position. Narrative responses, up to 10,000 characters for each KSA is accepted.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated experience in and knowledge of water and power resources management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in intergovernmental relations in order to coordinate, negotiate, and communicate effectively at the Federal, state and local government level, including partnerships relative to Federally funded water resource issues.
- Ability to collaborate to develop networks, build alliances, and find common ground with a broad range of stakeholders to develop solutions and ensure conflicts are managed/resolved in a positive and constructive manner to maximize results.
- Skill and ability to effectively motivate, communicate with, and lead professionals and technical experts in a manner which promotes (1) formulations and articulation of program elements and associated tasks to achieve organizational goals; (2) provide oversight through facility reviews and related performance and audit functions; and (3) development of required internal controls and associated program policy, as well as performance metrics to ensure accountability
Background checks and security clearance
Security clearance Top Secret
Drug test required Yes
To be considered for this position, applicants are required to submit a resume (with dates of employment, i.e. years and months), an on-line assessment questionnaire, and the following supporting documents, as appropriate:
- SF-50, NOTIFICATION OF PERSONNEL ACTION: Status applicants (transfer, reassignment, reinstatement, promotion, etc.) MUST submit a copy of their SF-50s), verifying all of the following: highest rate of pay held, the full performance grade level obtained or competed for, and documentation of your current career or career-conditional status in the competitive service (Tenure 1 or 2) for which you are claiming eligibility. This could result in more than one SF-50 to be submitted. FAILURE TO SUBMIT AN SF-50 VERIFYING STATUS WILL RESULT IN THE APPLICANT NOT BEING CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION. DO NOT SUBMIT AWARD SF-50’s.
- DD-214, CERTIFICATE OF RELEASE FROM ACTIVE DUTY: If you are entitled to veterans’ preference, you must provide a copy of your DD-214, and you should indicate the type of veterans’ preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans’ preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency.
- For 5-point veterans' preference, submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 Copy), or an official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
- For 10-point veterans' preference, please submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, DD-214, and the required documentation requested by this form.
For information on veteran's eligibility visit: http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.asp.
- SPECIAL NON-COMPETITIVE APPOINTING AUTHORITIES: For more information on special non-competitive appointing authorities visit: http://www.opm.gov/wtw/html/except.htm.
- CTAP/ICTAP provides placement assistance to permanent Federal employees who are surplus, displaced or involuntarily separated. Applicants claiming CTAP-ICTAP eligibility must submit a copy of their most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility and most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with their application. To be considered under CTAP/ICTAP, applicants must be well-qualified, i.e. meet the minimum qualification requirements, including selective factors, education and experience requirements and score at least 85 on the assessment questionnaire as established, and be able to perform the duties of the position upon entry. For information on CTAP/ICTAP, visit: http://www.opm.gov/ctap/index.asp.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
How to Apply
Applications (resume and assessment questionnaire) for this vacancy MUST be received online BEFORE midnight Eastern Time (Washington D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. When you're ready to apply, click the blue APPLY ONLINE button at the side of any page.
This vacancy is being announced through Bureau of Reclamation's Hiring System--HireMe. For more information about the HireMe system and the registration process, visit: https://www.usbr.gov/hr/hireme.html.
As part of the on-line application process, applicants MUST submit supporting documents. Failure to submit the requested supporting documents WILL result in your not being considered for this position. Options for submitting supporting documentation include Auto Requested Fax or uploading from your USAJOBS profile - instructions provided during the online application process. In addition, you may E-mail your supporting documentation to , fax directly to the HR Office at 303-445-6349, mail to (DFC) 6th and Kipling Building 67, Rm 348, Denver, CO 80225, OR hand-deliver to HR Office: Denver Federal Center (DFC) 6th and Kipling, Bldg 67, Rm 348, Denver, CO 80225. Include your name and the vacancy number on the supporting document(s).
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify us at the phone number shown at the bottom of this page. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Agency contact information
BUREAU OF RECLAMATION
P.O. Box 25007
DFC, Bldg. 67
Denver, Colorado 80225-0007