Principal Flood Risk Management Specialist
Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, and construction – and program - management. Our 77,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
That’s because Jacobs is much more than just a traditional engineering company.
Ranked No. 1 by Fortune’s 2019 World's Most Admired Companies…
Our Environment, Maritime and Resilience business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking to appoint a Principal Flood Risk Management Specialist in our Edinburgh office. The successful individuals will support a range of projects for clients in major public and private sector organisations and will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
You will be leading projects for local authorities, water companies and major infrastructure developers and you will also work with other disciplines within the group to deliver projects for major infrastructure clients.
• Appraisal of flood risk costs and benefits
• Project management and/or technical leadership, including oversight of hydrological, hydraulic and environmental inputs, on a variety of flood risk management projects such as:
- Surface Water Management Plans
- Flood Risk Management Strategies
- Business Case Reports
- Flood Risk Assessments
• Development of options to manage flood risk, including resistance and resilience measures
• Technical and business case reporting
• Liaising with clients, hydraulic modellers, project managers and other design team members
• Client liaison, including giving high quality planning advice for major infrastructure projects, e.g. rail, road, utilities schemes
• Quality Assurance on project deliverables
• Line management of Flood Risk Management Specialists and technical development of more junior colleagues in the team
• Identify and pursue new business opportunities and support sales opportunities across the wider business.
• Demonstrable knowledge in preparing cost benefit analyses and business cases for flood risk management schemes
• High quality degree relevant to the water environment
• Chartered through a relevant Professional Institution
• Proven ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary teams in the development of solutions
• Post Graduate qualification in a related subject
• Project Management qualification (e.g. APM or PRINCE2)
• Knowledge of hydraulic modelling packages used for mitigation option appraisal
• Preparation of Project Appraisal Reports to Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM) guidance processes – PAR and 5CBM
• Understanding of Flood Estimation Handbook Techniques
• GIS skills
• Demonstrable knowledge of the planning system relating to flood risk management
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
We encourage applications from candidates looking for flexible working or reduced hours’ contracts.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
To find out more about our networks, please visit our website; www.jacobs.com
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.