Indonesia nationals: SDG Impact Analysis Associate
“UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, including Indonesia, working to eradicate poverty while protecting the planet. UNDP supports implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Indonesia, UNDP works with the Government to integrate SDGs into national plan and policies.”
UNDP Indonesia is leveraging its experience in innovative financing by establishing an Innovative Financing lab that offers its services to UNDP and partners. The lab is a global test bed for meeting SDGs. The Lab is a multi-sectorial partnership delivering new models of financing towards SDGs. This is not about a single project, instrument, or initiatives. This is not short-term funding of impact. This is about enabling the flow of new capital to SDGs and innovating the financing environment.
Innovative financing is approached by UNDP as a strategic lever for change, sitting at the core of the UNDP delivery system. This is a moment of great opportunity: there is arguably more development money available than at any other point in history; simultaneously there is a greater urgency for institutional change across the world. Because UNDP is serious about helping institutions deliver the SDGs, it seeks through the Lab to shape the logic of how money flows into local economies. The Innovative Financing Lab seeks to help institutions deliver on SDGs in an innovative and impactful way.
The Innovative Finance Lab acts as a multilateral platform serving to engage international, regional and local actors from different sectors (public, private, non-profit, etc.) to seek and experiment with innovative finance approaches to society’s problems. The Innovative Finance Lab’s work is closely aligned with the Government’s priorities and structured around areas which include promoting innovation, evidence-based policy-making and alternative data for policy design and evaluation.
To support the project, the SDG Impact Analysis – Associate’s post is established to provide effective and efficient support to the overall effort of UNDP and the Innovative Finance Lab through improvement of system, tools and mechanisms for policy and strategy planning, reporting, monitoring, analysis and evaluation.
In addition, the SDG Impact Associate’s post will need to support the execution of the Impact AIM Indonesia business accelerator. The accelerator aims at providing an SDG aligned impact and business curriculum to impact ventures looking to scale. The Associate will work in coordination with IFL team and a dedicated project manager to drive the acceleration programme.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of Innovative Financing Lab Team Leader, the Associate will provide programme support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work in relation to SDG Impact for Innovative Financing Lab. The Associate will work in close collaboration with the Innovative Financing Lab , as well as other project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Design, develop, and maintain a database of relevant statistics focusing on the following results:
- Updated and timely dissemination of credible information.
- Effective support in producing an accurate analysis and report on the social economic and environmental development in Innovative Financing Lab.
- Updated relevant socio-economic data on sustainable development and key thematic areas for supporting implementation of SDGs in Innovative Financing Lab.
- Effective support in identification of the data gaps in the existing socio-economic indicators.
- Effective support in designing, development and implementation of baseline surveys in Innovative Financing Lab.
- Effective support on data collection and information gathering to support ongoing and proposed research, and policy/strategy development.
- Effective support on data validation policies and procedures.
2. Review existing and incoming data with respect to its accuracy, usefulness, quality, and completeness to facilitate consistent and harmonized datasets, focusing on the following results:
- Accurate assessment of the appropriateness of database once launched.
- Effective support to the relevant stakeholders to provide necessary inputs for the reporting required.
- Effective contribution to Innovative Financing Lab ‘s reports and related products on SDGs.
- Provision of technical inputs to develop and refine concepts; conduct background research and literature reviews; and effective contribution to commissioning of background research; and review and comment on commissioned research for the reports.
- Effective coordination and support to the statistical work for the SDGs monitoring report, including the preparation of the chapter on statistics and overseeing the production of the statistical annex.
- Updated presentation, visualization and communication strategy for the data and statistics in the flagship reports.
- Effective support to produce analysis of development opportunities and constraints in the focus area of project with relevance to SDGs Impact, and provide support in areas of policy dialogue with government partners and other stakeholders.
3. Analyze and review government strategies, plans and socio-economic and environmental data to identify areas for advocacy and monitor progress, focusing on the following results:
- Developed concise, well-thought out reports and presentations that serve to inform Innovative Financing Lab, UN agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Effective support for quantitative and qualitative analysis in the policy recommendations.
- Effective support for completion of research on socio-economic aspects that includes data analysis from most relevant platforms.
- Synthesized data and trends research to develop strategic insights to inform the development of project implementation, external communications and public Effective support on partnerships and stakeholder engagement in support of project implementation.
4. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Effective documentation of evidence of applied knowledge services delivered to UNDP colleagues and Government partners through research packages and concepts.
- Established and maintain documentation of workshops and seminars delivered in support of Lab’s concepts, Government counterparts and UNDP colleagues.
- Support in enhancing the activity of Innovative Financing Lab, and promotion of the Lab among UNDP staff more broadly.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Promotes knowledge management on gender equality issues.
5. Support to the implementation of Impact Aim Indonesia
- Drive, coordinate and manage the partnership with 500 startups and Bukalapak on the accelerator
- Coordinate and design the communication strategy with partners and other UNDP offices on Impact Aim
- Design and implement the impact measurement and management tools for monitoring of participating companies
- Integrate SDGs to the impact curriculum
- Coordinate the activities of the accelerator on a day-today basis in collaboration with the partners and project manager
- Source partnerships, mentors, collaborators and donors to support Impact AIM.
6. The incumbent of the position should avoid any kind of discriminatory behavior including gender discrimination and ensure that
- human rights and gender equality is prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- differentiated needs of women and men are considered;
- inclusive approach is reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created;
- necessary arrangements to provide gender parity within all committees, meetings, trainings etc. introduced.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work ,including working in teams and empowering project staff to create an enabling gender equality environment on non-hierarchical bases.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively including communication skills to exchange information, and key ideas in a manner that engages the audience and helps others to understand and retain messages about gender equality and parity
- Creating synergies through self-control.
- Managing conflict , including conflict resolving skills to manage gender barriers and gender blind behaviors within the project and with partners
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation.
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
- Promoting gender equality accountability framework and Gender equality Results Based management: performance evaluation, assigning proper gender marker in ATLAS web-based system UNDP Indonesia as applicable, reporting, etc.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyse general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
- Maintains databases of donor information.
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Responds positively to new approaches.
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors.
- Maintains database of project files.
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Promotes knowledge management on gender equality issues
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Possesses good financial and business analysis skills.
- Interested in governance innovation, ICT, and Big Data.
- Theoretical and/or practical knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment in development programming.
- Ability to carry out gender-related economic, public research and analysis, to contribute to the formulation of policies, programme interventions, procedures, guidelines and tools.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion.
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Administration, Development Economics, or any related field. Strong emphasis on economic analysis and quantitative skills.
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience, working on a wide range of research projects and employing a range of different research methodologies across multiple policy areas.
- Familiar with SDGs and Result Based Management.
- Direct experience supporting innovation is an advantage.
- Experience conducting and then analyzing in-depth interviews with members of the public and large-scale data sets.
- Experience of creating or analyzing business plans is an advantage.
- Experience in programme management, including managing budgets, suppliers and grant recipients.
- Experience in writing reports, researches, articles and/or blogs.
- Experience in developing partnerships across a wide range of organizations is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), as well as multimedia tools.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is an absolute necessity.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages would be an asset.
- Good inter-personal and team building skills.
- Full time availability for project management support duties is essential.
- Familiar with Government and UN/UNDP procedures would be desirable.