India nationals: Disaster Management Specialist
The UNDP India Country Programme Action Plan (CPAP) for the period 2013-17, signed with the Government of India enables UNDP to provide Development Support Services to the country. The aim of the Development Support Services is to help government improve the administrative efficiency and effectiveness of government programmes and schemes both at the national and state level. The signed CPAP, states that UNDP will provide demand-based development support services, including procurement support services, with requisite professional skills, personnel and technical resources with a view to supporting administrative efficiency and developing capacities of government agencies.
The Revenue Department (DM), State Government of Himachal Pradesh responsible to undertake various actions as per the legal-institutional framework of the National Disaster Management Act 2005, has formally requested UNDP support to strengthen SDMA (State Disaster Management Authority) and all 12 DDMAs (District Disaster Management Authorities) out of funds available with it under the 14th Finance Commission Grant by providing demand-based human resource at the state and district levels to facilitate implementation of training & capacity building activities in the State. In this context, UNDP is looking for individuals for the position of Disaster Management Specialist to provide support to the Government of HP in the state.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Disaster Management Specialist will be based at HPSDMA/Revenue Department (DM), and under the overall supervision of the Special Secretary (DM), he/she would be responsible for developing the framework and implementation of the state level activities for disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness. The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Assist in developing frameworks and mechanisms for disaster risk reduction in the state;
- Support development and implementation of state level initiatives/schemes for disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness;
- Assist HPSDMA/Revenue Department (DM) in day-to-day coordination required for smooth implementation of various DRR activities in the State;
- Ensure consultation with various stakeholders on variety of disaster management activities in the State;
- Support in work planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of DRR activities;
- Assist in drafting technical notes, letters, reports and other materials required by the HPSDMA/Revenue Department (DM);
- Support HPSDMA/ Revenue Department (DM) in undertaking community resilience initiatives in the state;
- Facilitate enforcement of appropriate norms and by-laws for land-use, building and planning standards that are based on professionally established hazard and vulnerability assessments;
- Assist in formulation of departmental disaster management plans and action plans for integration of DRR in development plans/schemes;
- Facilitate participation in disaster planning and management of all the stakeholders;
- Help in establishing a comprehensive information management system for DRR;
- Assist in identification and assessment of risks in disaster-prone areas and facilitate risk informed development;
- Perform any other tasks related to disaster management assigned by the HPSDMA/ Revenue Department (DM).
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the State;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in the area of DRR;
- Acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to apply conceptual models in support of implementation of the DRR & CCA activities in the state;
- Good understanding of the national/international initiatives on DRR & CCA;
- Ability to lead implementation of DRR & CCA initiatives
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential - Post Graduate degree in Social Sciences, Management or relevant discipline;
- Desirable - Post Graduate degree in Disaster Management.
- Essential - A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the development sector having relevance to disaster management;
- Desirable - Work experience in government/national and international agencies or civil society organization.
- Fluency of Hindi & English language is required.
Duration of the Work:
- The contract will be awarded for one year initially;
- Working days will be as per the State Government policy.
- Extensive travel within the state, districts and cities would be required.
Schedule of Payments:
- Consolidated Annual Consultancy Fee (Remuneration) of Rs 7,20,000/- payable in equal monthly instalments, upon submission of monthly progress report certified by the reporting officer.
- Contract will be administered by UNDP on behalf of the State Government of Himachal Pradesh;
- All the logistic support related to official travel will be borne by the Government of Himachal Pradesh as per their prevailing rules;
- Consultant will be entitled for 2 days leave per month (non-encashable).
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate and at least three (3) professional references.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
Preliminary shortlisting would be done based on the following criteria:
- Educational Qualification 20% Marks;
- Relevant Experience 20% Marks;
- Written exam and interview 30% Marks.
The shortlisted candidates will be required to undergo a written test and interview. The Interviews will be conducted in Delhi or through skype and will be based on the competencies (skills) required as per the ToR. The contract shall be awarded on a merit basis. If face-to-face interviews are conducted, travel costs will be borne by the shortlisted candidate.
For any clarifications, please write to