EU nationals: Programme Officer
Young Water Solutions is a youthful and vibrant organization based in Brussels and created in 2015 that empowers young people in low and middle-income countries to lead the solution to water issues in their communities, through the provision of technical and financial support. After successful implementation of a series of youth-led field projects across Africa and Asia, Young Water Solutions launched in 2017 its flagship programme, the Young Water Fellowship, that offers training, mentorship and seed funding to young people with project ideas that can contribute to the solution of local water, sanitation or other water management issues.
After running two global editions and supporting 19 young people (‘’Fellows’’) in 13 countries to implement projects and launch social businesses that are benefiting 15,000 people, Young Water Solutions is now preparing its third global edition focused on social entrepreneurship. Moreover, in 2019 the first regional edition will be held, that targets East-African young people, and national editions are being planned for 2020 in Senegal, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Ivory Coast.
While the programme focuses on providing technical and financial help to young entrepreneurs, Young Water Solutions also uses its lessons learned to inspire policy making and improve the enabling conditions to support young water entrepreneurs at country level. This way, advocacy and knowledge sharing become key components of the programme.
For more information about Young Water Solutions: www.youngwatersolutions.org
Young Water Solutions is in a growth phase with significant potential for expanding its activities in the years to come. For this exciting time, we are looking for a Programme officer for the Young Water Fellowship, who can help develop our organisation and assist the Programme Coordinator in all activities during the implementation, in particular with:
- Review and help improve Fellows’ pilot project proposals;
- Coach Fellows on WASH during the first stages of their social enterprises through calls and email exchanges;
- Review monitoring and evaluation tools to assess projects’ impact;
- Match Fellows with senior water experts as mentors using our database;
- Support the planning and implementation stages of regional and national editions;
- Organize the call for applications and selection of Fellows,
- Occasionally travel abroad to monitor Fellows’ pilot projects;
- Write reports on the different stages of the programme;
- Support logistical arrangements for meetings and events;
- Take a share of the daily administrative and organisational tasks;
- Occasionally help with translations from English to French;
- Other tasks as required
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE
Knowledge, experience and skills
- A degree involving significant water, sanitation or IWRM content. Experience on WASH/water management can replace formal education requirements.
- Professional proficiency in English and French (writing & speaking).
- Outstanding writing and presentational skills.
- Proven administrative, organisational and project management experiences
- Knowledge about entrepreneurship/business management and/or fundraising
- Motivation to contribute to YWS’ mission and vision
- Self-motivated, outcome-oriented, team player.
- Proactive, flexible, hands-on personality.
- Attention to detail and diligent work approach and method.
- Able to work autonomously, set own priorities and deliver within agreed timescales.
Time assignment and location
An initial contract is offered for 70% full-time equivalent (27 hours a week) for a fixed duration of 8 months, ideally starting on September 1st 2019. There will be a probation period of six weeks.
Moreover, our ambition is grow as an organisation and therefore to offer the possibility to extend this contract and increase the time dedication. However, this will depend on the availability of confirmed funds. We are currently exploring an increasing number of additional programmes and projects. Based on current discussions, we are confident that we can discuss any extensions already before the end of 2019.
Gross salary and tax conditions can be shared upon request.
The job is based in Brussels (working rights in the EU or Belgium are a must).