Behaviour Change Specialist
Over the next five years, Splash is implementing our full WASH program at government schools in Kolkata, India. A project that impacts nearly 400,000 children attending 1200 schools, a key component to that project is implementing a Behaviour Change program. Splash’s Behaviour change strategy is designed to achieve and sustain clean hands, clean water and clean toilets for kids. We do this by combining hardware that is beautiful and durable with comprehensive behavioural interventions inspired by human-centered design and behavioural science.
The Behaviour Change Specialist will lead and manage the Kolkata Behaviour Change team and their work to design and sequence our school-level behaviour change interventions to promote successful adoption and sustainability. S/he will collectively guide Splash staff and our implementation partner in Kolkata to build capacity and execute Splash’s behaviour change strategy at a high level of quality and according to global Splash standards. S/he will closely collaborate with the WASH Infrastructure Specialist in Kolkata to provide insight from the perspective of behavioural science and promote quality implementation. S/he will also work with colleagues in India, Seattle, and other country offices to design and evaluate the effectiveness of the behavior change programming and will share responsibility for the success of Splash’s global Behavior Change program.
- Work with global technical leads to design and test new Behaviour change initiatives, as well as create appropriate changes or additions to the existing Splash model that are conducive to local context. Includes leading the design and refinement of select Behaviour change programs, including a standardized site engagement strategy, janitor trainings, and a structure for post-implementation site visits.
- Develop trainers guide and other related documents for Behavior change in related to WASH.
- Leverage Behaviour change methodology as a tool to manage the team in designing programs for site-level sustainability, maintenance and cleanliness of infrastructure, hygiene behaviours of children, engagement of teachers, and menstrual health.
- Conduct and utilize literature reviews, formative research, and human-centered design to develop new program initiatives.
- Develop the process to take successful pilots to scale.
- Document program designs for internal and external use.
- Collaborate closely with the infrastructure team to offer Behavioural insights to hardware design and placement, optimal use, and desired Behaviours. Along, with closely with the M&E team for designing and collecting M&E related information.
- Collaborate closely with the project team to coordinate Behaviour change trainings, ensure quality implementation of Behaviour change programming, and gain insights from the field.
- Facilitate understanding and alignment on the Behaviour change model across the Kolkata office.
- Develop and manage the Behaviour Change annual workplan and associated budget.
- Become a content expert on the education system and structure to ensure government adoption and sustainability of the Splash program.
- Leverage the data in Salesforce and from the Monitoring and Evaluation team to evaluate the success of our software interventions.
- Manage the local Behaviour Change staff, which includes the Menstrual Health Officer and Program Design Specialist.
- Stay up-to-date on relevant best practices to ensure the program is based on sound field evidence.
- Contribute to formal grant reporting and documentation.
- Participate in regular virtual meetings (and occasional travel) with Splash’s global Behaviour change team and technical experts to share best practices and develop new programmatic initiatives.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., Public Health, Behavioural Economics, Education, Community Development, Social Psychology).
- At least 10 years of working experience and demonstrated knowledge on current trends related to Behaviour change. A targeted emphasis on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) or the Education sector is preferred but not required.
- Experience managing staff
- Experience in designing, researching and expanding behaviour change programs
- Experience in formative research and evaluation of programs
- Experience of working in programs/projects funded by large donor agencies and with government as partners.
- Fluent in English and Bengali
- You have a true fascination and passion for behaviour change theory and an openness to trying new approaches
- You are part of a team – you enjoy collaboration and supporting the success of others
- You exhibit absolute integrity, honesty, openness and sound judgment
- You are innovative and creative: you constantly seek better ways to accomplish objectives
- You are an excellent communicator, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively
- You have a deep belief in and passion for Splash’s values, work and the children we serv