Senior Applied Scientist
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
TNC-The Nature Conservancy Centre is a subsidiary of TNC. It is a Section 8 Company incorporated in India in 2017 with the objective of advancement of India’s environmental goals as they relate to conserving water, improving air and lands and conserving India’s rich and sacred natural heritage through a science-based non-confrontational approach. TNC-The Nature Conservancy Centre is also registered under Section 12A and 80G of Income Tax Act. Visit www.tncindia.in to learn more.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Senior Applied Scientist advances strategic technical and scientific practices to conservation challenges and provides scientific support and leadership as a subject matter expert (SME). They will provide science support to key initiatives within our conservation program (focused on freshwater conservation, land related climate solutions, and nature-linked cities infrastructure) and may lead independent science-based assessments or projects.
The Senior Applied Scientist provides strategic science support to the organization’s conservation programs. They lead and participate in analytical projects and address emerging conservation issues and work closely with the Director of Programs and individual program team members to ensure scientific rigor in work plans and projects.
The Senior Applied Scientist also conducts original research and publishes findings to add to the body of Conservation Science knowledge and supports TNC-India’s organizational goals. They develop and implement processes for identifying research priorities and how to focus external scientific resources on those priorities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Conceive and implement research and applied science initiatives within TNC-India’s programmatic objectives, working with TNC staff and partners, that enhance the scientific performance of our initiatives.
- Collaborate with a wide range of conservation partners to identify research needs, present technical concepts and support fieldwork that address large-scale, complex problems through systematic and thorough studies.
- Support the development and implementation of conservation measures and monitoring systems.
- Persuasively convey the mission of TNC to diverse groups including major donors, corporate executives, board members and others critical to the organizational overall prosperity with a strong science focus.
- Ability to travel up to 30% in India and internationally and may work in variable weather conditions at remote locations, hazardous terrain and/or under physically demanding circumstances.
- Master's Degree in science related field and 6 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with peer reviewed publications in scientific journals.
- Experience supporting a major program of strategic importance and working with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in relationship building with peers, partners, government agencies, land owners, academic community, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken in English.
- PhD in science related field, preferably conservation science, and 6 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience fundraising and/or writing grants and research proposals.
- Multi-language skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated, including fluency in Hindi.
- Experience advancing science from research to application on the ground and/or in policies
- Experience developing measurement and evaluation frameworks for projects
- Experience working in different regions of India and/or internationally
- Strong knowledge of common software applications.
- Ability to diagnose complex problems and identify solutions.
- Ability to establish and manage a budget to ensure sound financial performance.
- Ability to network extensively in scientific communities and maintain strong relationships.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 47708, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on June 12, 2019.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact .