Individual Consultant: Knowledge and Innovation Support for ADB's Water Financing Program/Water Stewardship Program
Objective and Purpose of the Assignment
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) seeks to enhance its partnerships in the water sector to leverage resources, enhance water management and sustainability in its Developing Member Countries (DMCs), and achieve corporate water sector targets and the SDGs, SDG 6 in particular. In 2018, the ADB Water Sector Group (WSG) will develop the Strategic Partnership Plan for the next three years under the One ADB Water Approach. ADB and the WSG have had long-standing relationships with traditional International Financing Institutions and Multilateral Development Bank (IFI and MDB) partners such as bilateral development agencies, government supported knowledge institutions, and CGIAR centers among others.
The potential in the Asia Pacific region is large and provides many possibilities for strengthened partner cooperation, and opportunities exist to develop an ADB Water Stewardship Program (WSP) in conjunction the private sector, non-profits and other non-traditional partners. For ADB, this represents untapped potential for a group of actors that can contribute to and benefit from improved water management. Other MDBs such as the World Bank and the Inter-American Development Bank have developed such programs that have greatly benefitted their client countries.
Scope of Work
In order to establish a meaningful framework for partnerships and engagement with non-traditional partners including private sector companies and foundations, ADB is looking for a specialist to help continue to, develop and implement the WSP program as a part of ADB’s overall partnership strategy as well as recruit members for it stewardship program over the next three years.
The specialist will work under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Water Sector Group of the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department in close coordination with ADB’s Regional Departments, Private Sector Operations Department, Office of Public Private Partnership, and Office of Cofinancing Operations.
Detailed Tasks and/or Expected Output
Detailed tasks and outputs for the specialist to develop the WSP include the following:
- Work with ADB staff to pilot and recruit members into the WSP based on the analysis previously done and the lone-list of possible members of WSP prepared. Support ADB to discuss opportunities with potential members and establish the WSG with the objectives and scope agreed with ADB.
- Continue to support ADB develop resources materials to establish and manage the WSG and provide recommendations for WSP reporting from ADB. Provide quality assurance of materials developed associated with the WSP.
- Support ADB staff to develop events that would promote the WSG and help recruit WSG members. This includes the ADB’s Asia Water Week with the theme “Information, Innovation and Technology” that is scheduled for the first week of October 2018 where a side event for WSG members should be organized.
- Assess the potential for third party organizations such as the Alliance for Water Stewardship and the World Wildlife Fund for Nature to support the ADB WSP and help define the role that any third party might play.
- Work with ADB staff to understand and evaluate ADB’s internal processes, objectives and needs and make recommendations for ADB to internally establish and manage the WSP.
- Lead the development the ADB WSP strategy and time-bound action plan with targets over the next three years, 2018-2020, that also includes a monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Provide other support as needed to support ADB develop and manage the WSP.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The Consultant will have a master's degree or relevant qualification in water resources, engineering or related fields and preferably a minimum of 15 years work experience. S/he will have demonstrated specific stewardship experience, working with and up- to-date knowledge of relevant water institutions in the private sector