Somalia nationals: WASH Assistant
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required
Contract Duration: 12 month
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum Diploma of qualification in community health, public health, nursing, social science.
- Minimum 2 years of Experience in implementing and coordinating hygiene promotion activities, including programme design, implementation and evaluation.
- Ability to write clear, well-argued assessment and project reports, and assist in preparing successful funding proposals for donors relevant to hygiene promotion
- Monitoring and evaluation skills including knowledge on KAP surveys
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to supervise, train and coach national staff.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SCI. In particular, a good understanding of the SCI mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Commitment to SCI Child Protection Policy
- Computer literate
- A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
The Application will close on 8th June,2019
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.