Assistant Environmental Health Coordinator
The IRC Yemen Country program was established in 2012 and currently is implementing integrated Health, Nutrition, Environmental Health (WASH), Economic Recovery and Development, Women’s Protection and Empowerment and Education programming in eight governorates. The IRC Yemen Country Program operates from its Country Office in Sana’a and its main Field Office in Aden. Other subfield offices include Abyan, Hodeida and Al Dhale’e, with the Al Dhale’e office covering Lahj, and Shabwah.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Assistant Environmental Health Coordinator will ensure the implementation of quality Environmental Health projects in Yemen and provide leadership, guidance, coordination and technical support to the Senior EH Manager, EH Managers and the program teams to ensure that all interventions meet international best practices. The Assistant Environmental Health Coordinator reports to the Environmental Health Coordinator. The position is based in Sana’a with travel to Aden and other field activity sites.
- Manage all EH programs at the Aden and Sanaa Office, ensuring timely and effective implementation to meet the project outcomes with a special focus on the emergency grants.
- Provide supervision and leadership to the EH staff.
- Develop work plans to guide and monitor implementation of approved grants and support the field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and community.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for EH programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for EH staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of EH staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings).
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of the EH staff and local partners in order to transfer skills. This includes staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, supervision and emergency response.
- Review all reports prepared by the EH staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Lead the development of appropriate project management tools to plan, review and track progress on projects implementation as well as on the utilization of project resources.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all EH projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow up, including any required operational research.
- Work with the sector coordinator to design EH BOQs that are sound and follow SPHERE standards and ensure that structures are culturally appropriated and accepted.
- In collaboration with other Senior EH Managers, EH Managers and M&E sector, conduct internal evaluations such as KPC/KAP surveys.
- Lead the sector teams in the field to comply with appropriate processes for infrastructure improvement
- Guide the project teams to design and deliver hygiene promotion activities that are based upon effective formative research and adapted to the local context.
- Together with the sector coordinator, lead on planning of all EH and project activities setting high quality performance targets and ensuring adherence to technical standards, best practices, donor guidelines and SHPERE standards
- Follow all technical direction as outlaid in the Yemen EH Strategy For the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in IRC supported Medical facilities, included the requirements for the mobile health units, IDP site s and host communities including but not limited to restoration of existing infrastructure, drainage, solid waste management, IPCs, latrine, Hygiene campaigns, vector control and hygiene promotion activities.
- Participate in strategic planning of the sector & the country program at large.
- In collaboration with the EH Coordinator , analyze the broad humanitarian emergency trends by attending regular coordination meetings at national level, conducting field assessments, and collecting secondary data from other sources.
- Ensure that the selection of the project beneficiaries is based on approved criteria and strategies, ensuring beneficiaries are consulted and their views taken into account at all stages of the program.
- Ensure that the program incorporates effective gender strategies for equity and inclusion across program delivery.
- Ensure that synergies with the health and nutrition teams are created for an integrated program.
- Ensure that the teams are preparing their activity implementation plans
- Ensure that protection issues are fully considered throughout the project cycle with women, elderly, disabled and most vulnerable being included in decision making for all WASH and issues.
- Assist in the collection of data, assessments, and need & response analysis and actively participate in preparation of proposals, especially log frame, technical description, and budget development.
Logistics / Finance:
- Liaise with IRC Administration, Logistics, and Finance Departments to ensure smooth operations and appropriate support to field staff;
- Raise and follow up on purchase requests, conduct equipment and materials inspections and ensure timely supply of materials to site;
- Develop and maintain tools to monitor project progress, financial commitments and expenditures against budgets as necessary;
- Maintain budget plans & monitor spending for allocated EH budgets
- Monitoring and supervising both IRC and staff seconded to IRC to ensure work is performed efficiently.
- Routinely monitor staff performance according to their job description and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Oversee continuous training programs for the EH staff as well as organizing trainings with consultants as per the annual work-plan & budget.
- Review personnel issues and concerns of EH staff and assist with determining and implementing solutions.
- Participate in recruitment of EH staff as appropriate.
- Recommend promotions, disciplinary action of EH team to the EH Coordinator.
Staff Development / Capacity Building
- Provide supportive supervision to supervisees, including development and monitoring of regular work plans.
- Provide timely and quality performance evaluations.
- Identify capacity building needs of direct reporters and develop capacity building plans to maximize performance and professional development.
- Participate in training and mentoring of EH and other staff members in response to capacity building needs.
- In coordination with the EH Coordinator and Senior Management Team, actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in including WASH Cluster, donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
- Master’s or Degree in Engineering, Public Health, Hydrogeology or similar.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with INGOs in the field of WASH and with implementation of water supply, sanitation, construction, hygiene or infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated experience in working in emergency settings
- Proven strong ability to provide technical assistance and expert advice to staff and partners in infrastructure and related fields.
- Experience in project management, planning, supervision, quality assurance and reporting
- Experience working in Yemen/middle east is a plus.
- Arabic Language is a plus.
- Background in situation analysis, WASH assessments and program implementation.
- Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Excellent coordination and networking skills.
- Excellent computer skills in programs such as: MS Word, Excel, Power point
- Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable security environment.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons
There is active conflict in parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states. The situation in Sana’a is not tense at the moment and remains unpredictable. Security will be thoroughly discussed during the interview process.
Lodging in Aden is in a shared IRC guesthouse. In sub field locations, accommodation similar to the Sana’a office. All IRC sites have electricity and internet all day through. Food is the individual’s responsibility.