Senior Business Solutions Specialists (2)
844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a bright future that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we pioneer market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis. For more than 25 years, we’ve been providing women hope, children health and families a future.
The Business Solutions team at Water.org leads critical fund and business management functions within the Global Operations division of Global Impact. The Business Solutions team provides expertise for and oversight of global performance and risk management of grants and other donor funds, including responsibility for addressing the organization’s business, fiduciary and contractual obligations related to these funds. In service of this objective, the Business Solutions team will optimize and standardize fund development and management processes, templates, monitoring and compliance.
The Sr. Business Solutions Specialist within the Business Operations team is primarily responsible for leveraging operational and grant based knowledge to ensure grants and other donor funds meet or exceed or meet global standards for performance and risk management through related tools, resources, procedures, and policies. The Sr. Business Solutions Specialist will also ensure strong partnership with global Finance, Strategic Alliances, and Global Impact’s field operations in an effort of providing comprehensive knowledge of all facets of restricted grants and other donor funds. This role also provides functional oversight of grant portfolio as managed by field-based Grant Mangers.
The Sr. Business Solutions Specialist role may be based in Kansas City, MO or San Francisco, CA.
Grant/Fund Portfolio Management (70%)
- Lead the design and oversight of assigned portfolio of restricted grants and other donor funds through opportunity stage to close out.
- Facilitate coordination and guidance across departments and within the Global Impact department regarding grant management processes.
- Ensure adequate technical and functional input is incorporated into grant design, risk and performance management, including development of tools, governance and processes.
- Monitor and analyze performance according to global grant performance standards, including making recommendations for changes to scope of grant, partnering with relevant managers and leaders for approval on changes.
- Coordinate or support activities that require headquarters’ or external compliance oversight related to Water.org’s fiduciary obligations such as audits
- Monitor performance versus target and raises exceptions to relevant Global Impact, Strategic Alliance and Finance leads.
- Participate in knowledge management, relationship management and training development related to grant/fund management, as assigned.
Global Fund Management Standards & Capacity Development (30%)
- Contribute to design and execution of optimized processes and standards for grant management from opportunity to close out. Work design requires functional integration with field operations' execution teams to understand programming, monitor and review progress on activities and spending, and provide support and guidance when needed
- Manage initiatives to improve revenue generation support through building tools and platforms, such as fund opportunity inventory, collateral development, grant budget tools and templates, grant performance monitoring and documentation.
- Oversee, partner with, and build functional capacity of field grant managers within regional portfolio.
- Interface with finance, HR and other teams as needed to lead/coordinate compliance related activities.
- Acts as a project manager. Among responsibilities is management of a project team. The individuals comprising this team may vary by project.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Design grant management protocols and performance metrics.
- Increase clarity on grant performance progress against country/regional metrics.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when taking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in business/international business, economics, or related field of study.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience with full cycle grants management, with some knowledge of basic fundraising and donor relationship management principals.
- Expert-level project management skill with ability to manage various timelines related to grant deliverables and several complex grants simultaneously
- Strong relationship management skills, enabling effective working relationships across departments and within Global Impact.
- Expert communicator with a strong ability to synthesize and articulate information to inform strategy-level monitoring and decision making.
- Detail oriented with an ability to synthesize and summarize information and connect dots from field activities to Water.org's strategy for top-level audiences.
- Previous experience reviewing and understanding grant budgets and agreements.
- Proficient in grant management/XRM/CRM software.
- Up to 25% of domestic and global travel.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement.
Water.org is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, military and veteran status, genetic information, and any other status protected by law. We provide qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job.