Director (Water Resources Management)
Are you a strategic water professional who wants to contribute to a better world?
One of the world’s leading water institutes – SIWI – is looking for a dynamic and professional person to fill the position of Director, Water Resources Management.
In this role, you will be responsible for the management and strategic development of our water resources management (WRM) portfolio, which contributes to the achievement of the institute’s overall strategy. You will lead the WRM team to develop and further position SIWI’s unique competence in the field of water resources, oceans and climate change adaptation. We expect you to develop knowledge and relevant policy recommendations.
You will lead a team of highly skilled professionals, with academic, policy development and field experience in the areas of e.g. IWRM, Source-to-Sea concept, water resources planning and management.
To be successful in this role we believe that you are a confident leader focused on supporting and motivating people. Creating a trustful and engaging work environment for your team is a priority. You have broad knowledge and operational experience of e.g. service delivery, participatory and inclusive approaches, from different parts of the world. You are confident with data and insights-driven decision making, have a passion for developing teams and cross-organizational growth.
The person we are looking for is visionary, with an including leadership style, has a commitment to the highest standards of quality, and experience building and supporting high-performance teams. Preferably in a development cooperation or international context.
The Director Water Resources Management reports directly to the Chief Operations Officer, is a member of the Senior Management Team and will support and work closely with all departments at SIWI. The position is a full-time, permanent position (with 6-month probation period), starting as soon as possible. The position is based at the SIWI offices in Stockholm, Sweden.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Manage and lead the Water Resources Management (WRM) department, including development, staff and budget matters;
- Attract future funding to the work of the Water Resources Management department;
- To support delivery of SIWI’s current Strategy (2018-2021) and annual action plans;
- Based on SIWIs core values, strategically develop SIWI´s work in the field of water resources management;
- Contribute to the growth and development of SIWI as a global water institute;
- Identify and influence key boundary partners in the area of water and sanitation services;
- Establish and maintain partnerships/relationships with key actors in Sweden and internationally
- Oversee implementation and follow-up of current and future projects;
- Increase awareness and engagement for SIWI’s expertise in WRM;
- Actively develop knowledge and results related to SIWI’s cross-cutting issues;
- Provide strategic advice to the Executive Management Team and Department Directors on WRM related issues;
- Represent SIWI in international fora.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in an international setting.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience from water resources management programs from developing countries
- Experience of managing budgets and attracting funding.
- High degree of interpersonal skills and documented experience of developing and supervising staff.
- A relevant higher educational degree in fields relevant to the position and its responsibilities.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant professional experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading teams.
- Good knowledge of global development issues and in-depth knowledge of water challenges.
- Experience from managing and developing relationships/partnerships with key actors.
- Experience from managing larger development programs.
- Fluent English (written and spoken).
- Basic Swedish is a merit.
- More languages considered a merit.
You apply by using the apply button at the bottom of the advert for the position. We need your application by June 20th 2019.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Further information can be provided by Therese Sjömander Magnusson, Chief Operations Officer, +46-8- 121 60 82 or Torgny Holmgren, Executive Director, phone +46 8 1213 6010, Kanika Thakar, Union Member +46 -8-121 60 36 and Harsh Sheth, Union Member, + 46 8 121 360 48