Vietnam nationals: GIS Assistant on Agriculture and Environment
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (www.ciat.cgiar.org) develops technologies, innovative methods and research-based solutions in agriculture and the environment, in order to increase prosperity and improve human nutrition for a sustainable food future. CIAT conducts research for development primarily in tropical regions of Latin America, Africa, and Asia. CIAT is a member of the CGIAR Consortium (www.cgiar.org), a global research partnership for a food secure future.
About the Position
The CIAT Asia regional office in Hanoi is recruiting a GIS Assistant to support research processes focused on climate resilient agriculture and environmental issues. This is an entry-level position for the GIS Assistant to launch their career with a dynamic team working on research for development projects aimed at supporting smallholder farmers in Asia. Sample ongoing projects that the GIS Assistant would support include mapping of agricultural systems exposure to risk such as climate change and deforestation, as well as analysis of diverse socio-economic and spatial datasets to enable development of recommended risk responses.
A recent BSc graduate with aspirations to rapidly acquire experience and skills and expand their professional horizons will thrive in this position. The position is available for nationals of Viet Nam.
- Work together with colleagues on Climate Resilient Agriculture and Agroecosystems and Sustainable Landscapes teams to identify, prepare and structure geospatial data in support of projects (research for development projects using agro-climatology, crop models, big data and economics approaches).
- Support data cleaning and visual analysis and classification for advancement of remote sensing capabilities for machine-learning detection of smallholder agroforestry systems.
- Support research teams with geospatial data gathering, analysis and writing to turn research ideas into recommendations that promote smallholder climate resilience and environmentally sustainable land uses.
- Provide assistance in presentation of results including graphical representation and visualization of data and contribute to scientific article publications.
- Contribute to development and maintenance of research and information databases.
- Conduct literature review as needed to identify key metrics as needed relating to agriculture and socio-economics as relevant to the projects and to proposal development.
- BSc in Geography, Information Technology, Forestry, Spatial Planning, Natural Resource Management, Conservation, Agriculture and/or Regional planning.
- Experience in spatial data management and related software (e.g. ESRI ArcGIS, Quantum GIS, ERDAS, ENVI, etc.) required.
- Some experience using in geospatial database creation and geospatial analysis for forestry and/or agriculture would be advantageous.
- Strong team player with ability to work across interdisciplinary research teams in a culturally diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized critical thinker with an ability to handle multiple priorities, manage assignments independently, and work under tight deadlines.
- Strong desire to learn, advance in applied sciences and acquire new skills is required. Humility and curiosity to ask questions is essential.
- A good foundation of English speaking, reading and writing abilities is required.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time, limited to applicants of Vietnamese nationality. Contracts are issued and renewed annually, based on performance. This position will be subject to an initial three-month probation period. CIAT is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity.
To be considered for this position, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “GIS Assistant”. In your email, please include:
- A cover letter illustrating your motivation to apply and suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications and work responsibilities, and;
- A detailed curriculum vitae, including the name and email addresses of one professional referee who has worked either as your professional or academic supervisor and is knowledgeable about your skills and professional abilities.
The closing date for applications is 10th of June. We will close the advert earlier when a suitable candidate has already been identified.