WorldFish has recently established its Project Office in Dili, Timor-Leste in collaboration with the Timor-Leste Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF). Currently, WorldFish Timor-Leste has a number of ongoing projects in the area of aquaculture, fisheries & livelihoods with strong prospects for an expanded program in the near future. An interdisciplinary team of scientists and research support staff are actively involved in carrying out research and development activities in collaboration with a number of local and international partners. To ensure smooth management of the office and field operations, WorldFish is seeking for suitable candidates take up the position of Research Analyst for its Project Office in Timor-Leste.
- Participate in training activities related to project objectives.
- Facilitate project related meetings, workshops, and trainings with project focus communities.
- Engage with external agencies and NGOs as necessary to facilitate livelihood development activities.
- Act as communities liaison person for all project activities.
- Keep accurate, well structured notes of all project activities and interactions.
- Assist with drafting reports and translating project documents (Tetum – English; English –Tetum).
- Ensure smooth flow of communication and information between project team, partners, and collaborators.
- Understand and adopt a gender sensitive approach to community based activities.
- Experience in an area relevant to fisheries, natural resources management, or community development. Skills in the social sciences are sought.
- Excellent understanding of rural livelihood systems.
- Good team player, consistently approaching work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude
- Analytical ability and willingness to learn new methods and approaches
- Proficient in computer software packages (MS windows, Excel) and data management
- Excellent communication skills required with strong command of writing in English
- Knowledge of, and past experience with, participatory research and development methods
- Experience in implementing rural or livelihood development projects in Timor-Leste
- Strong desire to engage in research for development
Timeframe and location
This position will be based at WorldFish’s project office in Dili, Timor-Leste. Interviews are expected to be held in Dili, Timor-Leste, and short-listed candidates should be available to attend.
The successful candidate should be available to commence asap under a fixed term contract, with possibility of extension depending on performance of and funding situation. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture and experience is valued. We support individual performance and potential in achieving our organizational goals and mission. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information:
- A cover letter including a max 2-page description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Names and contacts (telephone, fax, and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report.
Screening will start immediately, and will continue until the position is filled. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
WorldFish’s Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) will receive comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) paid annual leave, comprehensive insurance coverage, and provident fund contribution. Salary will be paid in local currency of the host country, commensurate with the person’s qualification and experience.