Are you a curious, courageous, fun and hard-working professional who is passionate and wants to make an impact on our precious natural environments?
This is your opportunity to:
- make a difference to management of waterways and catchments
- be integral to shaping the direction of a vibrant and growing company
- grow alongside an industry leader in the waterway space
Who is Streamology?
Streamology was founded in 2014 by Dr Geoff Vietz as a niche consulting company focused on the science and management of waterways, wetlands, estuaries and catchments. The foundations of the company come from two decades of consulting and academic experience, and recognition of the gap between the two. We seek to provide knowledge, leadership and inspiration for the management of waterway landscapes that engenders positive social and environmental change.
With strong ties to universities, and a focus on strategic solutions, Streamology is considered an industry leader in the integration of current knowledge to pragmatic approaches and solutions that make a difference to the way we manage our water and waterways. We straddle the divide between research and practice. We develop methods, frameworks, monitoring programs, designs and strategies, and apply these to projects throughout Australia for both urban and rural settings.
With so many interesting projects flowing in we are seeking people to join us to help build a high performing team of curious, courageous, fun and hard-working professionals who are passionate and want to make an impact on our precious natural environments.
This position forms a core element of the Streamology consulting team. It will allow the right candidate to influence the direction of not only the company, but to also play a fundamental role in achieving the outcome of healthier waterway environments.
The position will be required to manage projects and respective team members, liaise with clients, and contribute to project inputs including the application of hydrologic, hydraulic and GIS knowledge and skills. This includes incorporating geomorphic, ecological and social considerations. This position will cover a broad spectrum of projects with a specific focus on hydrology, hydraulic modelling, stormwater management and waterway strategies and design. The realm will be predominantly urban but will also include application to rural environments. The position will work closely with waterway geomorphologists, planners, ecologists and strategists.
- Manage projects and respective team members, liaise with clients, and/or contribute to the delivery of projects in both urban and rural waterway settings.
- Synthesise hydrology with applications such as RORB, Source and MUSIC.
- Analysing data and producing hydraulic models using your knowledge of Tuflow, HEC RAS etc.
- Deliver environmental flows/streamflow investigations, monitoring and assessments (both rural and urban environments).
- Apply and roll-out the USIA (Urban Streamflow Impact Assessment) method.
- Crunch data to work out the ‘what ‘and the ‘why’.
- Work in a fast-paced environment where the goal posts change (a lot!) and be able to manage your time
- Develop winning proposals highlighting Streamology’s point of difference.
- Develop relationships with new and existing clients across the private and public sectors to continually develop the business for ongoing work.
Ultimately, this is a position that allows you to influence the way waterways positively shape our industry and our landscapes. The right candidate will make a difference to the management of water, waterways and catchments and be integral to shaping the direction of a vibrant and growing company.
What you bring with you is:
- A passion and understanding for the management of waterways and water, and the underlying science, and want to help make a difference.
- Between 5 and 15-years’ experience as a hydrologist and you like to either push the science, or at least keep abreast of it.
- An appropriate tertiary qualification (e.g. a degree in engineering (environmental/civil) or equivalent, with strong interest and experience linking catchment hydrology and waterways.
- Lateral thinking, but a good eye for the detail.
- Ability to liaise with clients in a high-rise boardroom or on the edge of a muddy river.
- Strong project management skills allowing you to take carriage of a number of projects from inception to completion and manage the team to deliver on time.
- A strong writing style allowing you to distil the complex problem into a simple message for our clients.
- A desire to push the boundaries.
Either Melbourne or Bright (the gem of northeast Victoria and our HQ), with work throughout Australia, and overseas opportunities. Or in a café, or on the side of a river, or wherever you feel you are most creative and productive.
What's the remuneration?
Remuneration is commensurate with skills and experience.