An exciting opportunity exists to join the Abundant Water team in Laos for a 6 month internship commencing in early November for a period of 6 months! Work closely with a dedicated team, advance our social business objectives, and make a difference in the lives of communities in rural and remote Laos.
About Abundant Water
Abundant Water is a Canberra based NGO working to to help remote communities stop disease and death by providing access to clean water. Abundant Water trains potters in Lao to make their own ceramic water filters and business people to market and sell filters so that remote communities develop their own sustainable clean water businesses.
The organisation was started in 2008 by Sunny Forsyth, who when working as an Australian Government Youth Ambassador in Laos witnessed first-hand the lack of safe drinking water in rural communities.
Working with ANU he developed innovative low-cost clay-pottery filters that remove over 95% of the pathogens in water. Our simple water filters are made using traditional techniques, from locally sourced organic materials. They have the ability to eliminate water-borne illnesses such as dysentery, gastro-enteritis, cholera, and typhoid that are endemic to many rural villages. The AW filter and social business program is now being used throughout Laos PDR and the organisation has recently embarked on taking its technology to Nepal.
To learn more about Abundant Water, check out our website: https://www.abundantwater.org/
Through the internship program, Abundant Water seeks to involve interns in running our projects on the ground in Laos. The support of interns increases the capacity of Abundant Water to effectively deliver its programs in Laos.
The intern is supervised directly by the Abundant Water Program Manager in Laos PDR and works closely with both the Laos staff and project partners. .
Under the direction of the Program Manager, interns have broad responsibilities in the following areas:
- Technical: Supporting filter production, development of Quality control tools and protocols, filter testing, data analysis and database upkeep
- Programme development: Developing tools to support vendors and analyse customer satisfaction
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Development of tools, databases, protocols, data analysis, report writing
- Communication: Writing blogs, using social media, case studies and reports
- Logistics: Procurement of materials and Admin support
Interns will work closely with the Program Manager to develop a customised work plan that meets both organisational needs and personal and professional development objectives.
The successful candidate will:
- understand and commit to the values of Abundant Water
- be able to work effectively as a member of a team
- strong monitoring and evaluation, data collection and analysis skills
- strong understanding of behaviour change theories and approaches
- strong understanding of issues around water quality
- strong communications and writing skills
- experience working in developing countries
- experience riding a motorbike (or commitment to attend a CBT course before placement)
- a willingness to learn Lao language
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants can apply online by providing a copy of their CV and a short video outlining their interest in the position: https://forms.gle/AByfXwXXVK1TwJ2r7
For questions about the internship or if there are issues with the online form please contact: