About the job
Are you passionate about sustainable development? Have you turned your concern for a healthy planet into motivation, determination, and knowledge to boost regions’ leadership and action worldwide? Then, we would love to hear from you!
Regions4 is hiring an Executive Director to drive the organization towards the realization of its mission, providing strategic, financial, and operational leadership and management.
This position is based on a consultancy contract, flexible hours of approximately 30 hours a week, and is home based.
No application will be considered solely via LinkedIn!
Finance and fundraising
- Creates and oversees the annual budget.
- Coordinates the work of the Treasurer for the day-to-day management of the finances and accounts of Regions4.
- Oversees timely compliance with an annual payment of membership fees.
- Implements the fundraising strategy to establish a sustainable and diversified funding base to ensure the financial health and growth of Regions4.
- Coordinates the Regions4 Business and Growth Taskforce to mobilize relevant funding opportunities, in cooperation with member regions.
- Identifies and engages with relevant prospective regions for their potential inclusion in the network.
- Builds and maintains strategic, mutually beneficial business and partner relations.
- Coordinates the preparation and submission of quality funding concepts and proposals to donors, aligned with Regions4 strategy and in coordination with members and partners.
- Ensures quality and timely implementation of projects and submission of accurate, timely donor reporting, including financial reports, compliant with donor terms and conditions.
Legal and Operations
- Ensures the correct day-to-day operations of the network.
- Follows up on administrative, legal, and statutory matters, ensuring accurate financial records are maintained and audited, and statutory accounts submitted.
- Ensures adherence to the organization’s daily activities and long-term plans to established policies and legal guidelines.
- Ensures that Regions4 policies and operating procedures are reviewed and updated as required.
Secretariat leadership and management
- Provides inspiring leadership and effective management of the Secretariat, interns, and volunteers to ensure a highly engaged and functioning team.
- In coordination with the SG and Programme Managers, ensures the formulation, financing, and implementation of annual work plans aligned to the strategy.
- Manages aspects related to human resources, including the hiring of external services and the induction of new staff.
- Organizes and coordinates regular team meetings, ensuring all staff is kept informed of relevant organizational plans and updates.
- Supports the work of the Secretary-General in enhancing the political leadership of Regions4’s governance bodies and membership, fostering member cooperation through strategic connections, strengthening partnerships, reinforcing advocacy, and representing the collective voice of Regions4 community at the UN fora and international events.
- Supports the SG in the organization of the meetings of the Steering Committee and the General Assembly.
- Support the SG in the organization of Regions4 elections and relations with the Board of Chairs.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS
- Experience as Executive Director or similar managerial position.
- Extensive experience in building partnerships and collaborating with a large network of partners.
- Sound financial management experience, including fundraising and managing institutional donor-funded projects.
- Proven track record in strategy implementation and delivering operational results.
- Experience in managing an international team and working in multilingual environments.
- Demonstrated experience in the field of subnational and local governments; working with the UN; and/or networks or coalitions is an asset.
Knowledge and understanding
- Degree in Environmental Sciences, Business Administration, International Cooperation, Political Sciences, or any other related field, with a specific interest in the areas of climate action, biodiversity and/or sustainable development.
- Very good understanding of the work of key international institutions and their decision-making processes, namely the UN, international institutions, and donor programs.
- Considerable knowledge of the donor funding environment and subsequent challenges/opportunities.
- Very good understanding of current international sustainability issues and of their impact on local and regional governments.
Abilities and skills
- Strong strategic and analytical skills, including the ability to prioritize effectively.
- Outstanding organization and leadership abilities.
- Ability and motivation to lead, manage and motivate a small, multinational team in a continually changing context.
- Excellent coordination skills and a holistic approach to managing the organization’s operations.
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and public speaking skills.
- Proven negotiation and diplomatic skills in international environments, including the ability to effectively liaise with governments across political parties and contexts.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Spanish and/or French is an asset.
- Contract-type: part-time consultancy (flexible hours of approximately 30 hours a week)
- Starting date: September 20, 2022.
- Remuneration: according to qualifications and experience.
- Duration: until 31 December 2023 with the possibility to be renewed upon available funding.
- Location: home-based
- Send CV and cover letter via email to: [email protected] and [email protected]
- Application Deadline: 5th of September 2022.
- Interviews will start as soon as possible.
To view full details of the offer, please download the job description at: https://regions4.org/careers/executive-director/