Associate/Advisor (Environmental & Social Risk)
EDC is Canada’s export credit agency, offering information, knowledge and innovative commercial solutions to help Canadian exporters and investors expand their international business. We take on risk so Canadian businesses can take on the world.
When you join our team, you’ll be helping Canadian companies bring their vision, passion and innovation to the global marketplace. Your knowledge and expertise will support more than 10,000 Canadian companies and their customers in as many as 200 markets worldwide. You’ll work shoulder-to-shoulder with the best and brightest in an inclusive, collaborative environment that fosters professional development and success. And you’ll know that you’re making a difference every day—for companies, for Canada and for the people you work with.Year after year, EDC has been recognized as a Top 100 and Top Family-Friendly Employer.
Team & Job Overview
Our Environmental and Social Risk Management (ESRM) team is seeking to recruit new Environmental and Social Risk Advisor. These Advisor would become an integral part of a multi-disciplinary advisory team composed of experts in social and human rights assessment, community engagement, labour and occupational health and safety, environmental management, environmental law, climate change and biodiversity, with a specific focus on the international arena. This is an opportunity for a resourceful self-starter that thrives in an exciting team environment, to work directly on environmental and social risk management in the financial sector.
Within the framework of EDC’s legal, international and corporate sustainability and responsibility requirements, an Environmental and Social Risk Advisor provides expert advice to EDC in managing environmental and social risks associated with EDC’s financing and insurance transactions, in accordance with EDC’s environmental and social risk management policies, procedures and legal requirements.
An Advisor considers the activities of the exporter, the industry and the country context of a financial transaction to provide expert guidance to EDC and the customer on environmental and social risk management. In addition, an Advisor plays a key role in developing and/or refining corporate responsibility policies, programs and initiatives. The Advisor is a key player in defining and negotiating ESRM’s interactions with other internal EDC teams and represents EDC with external stakeholders
- Supports the corporate environmental and social risk management framework including determination of risk tolerance, limits and delegations, measurement, and implementation of an integrated risk modeling system.
- Undertakes assessments of potential risks for an organization at every level and aggregates the results at the corporate level to facilitate priority setting and improved decision-making.
- Identifies and analyzes potential non-credit related sources of risk in transactions, and for the operations of the Corporation more broadly, and recommends strategies for minimizing risks.
- Communicates information regarding business risks across the organization.
Supporting the Director, the Advisor:
- Fulfills EDC’s legal, international and corporate requirements for due diligence of environmental and social risks by identifying and assessing environmental and social impacts and risks associated with transactions to which EDC may provide support
- Conducts project benchmarking against international environmental and social standards
- Supports the negotiation and structuring of environmental and social commitments in financing and insurance documentation.
- Independently reviews monitoring reports and identifies and assesses potential environmental and social risks, and presents findings in written reports for Asset Management and Loans Services
- Organizes and participates in site visits to projects to assess environmental and social risk, observes on-site conditions, and documents findings
- Supports ESRM and corporate continuous-improvement initiatives through the use of problem-solving and other related techniques.
- Completion of a degree in an environmental or social field, such as environmental science or management, ecology, climate change, water resources, international development, occupational health and safety, labour, etc., or in a related field such as Law (environmental, labour, human rights) or Engineering.
- Knowledge of environmental and social risk management principles and practices, particularly international standards and guidelines.
- For the Associate level role, a minimum of 2 years of experience in risk management or related experience and for the Advisor level role at least 5 years of experience in risk management or related experience
- Bilingual in both official languages (French and English)
- Ability to communicate in other languages relevant to ESRM, notably Spanish
- Expertise in the area of occupational health and safety in developing markets
- Familiarity with international environmental and social standards, including the International Finance Corporation’s Performance Standards and the Equator Principles, among others
- Advisor: $73,000 - $109,000 + performance-based incentive
- Please be advised that this position is based at our Head Office in Ottawa. Relocation assistance is available for eligible candidates
How to apply
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: June 7, 2019 11:59 p.m. EST on www.edc.ca/careers
EDC is committed to employment equity and actively encourages applications from women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and visible minorities. If selected for an interview, please advise us if you require special accommodation.
Candidates must meet the requisite government security screening requirements.