Result of Service
The objective of the Ecosystem Restoration consultancy is to support the implementation of the Action Plan for the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration in Latin America and the Caribbean with particular focus in Argentina and Uruguay, in collaboration with countries and strategic partners in the Sub-Region. These activities will include a roadmap for innovative ecosystem restoration investment and financing in the Sub-Region, at least one project proposal for an ecosystem restoration flagship initiative in Argentina and Uruguay, and communication inputs on ecosystem restoration to be distributed and generate capacities among Sub-region’s countries, with a focus on Argentina and Uruguay.
- Outputs / Work Assignments (must be tangible and/or measurable)
The process for producing requested outputs and deliverables will entail the following steps and sub-products:
- Assignment 1: Dissemination of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration and the Regional Action Plan in the Latin America Southern Cone Sub-Region, in this case particularly focused in Argentina and Uruguay contexts
• Dissemination of the UN Decade with regional, national and local partners in government, academic institutions, civil society and private sector.
• In close coordination with the Regional Office Communications Unit, promote communications on the UN Decade and ensure impactful restoration stories from the Sub-Region by drafting webstories, social media content, and other communications materials.
• Prepare a brief report with key data on ecosystem restoration in Argentina and Uruguay, based in the main concepts and principles enshrined by the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration’s materials, showing current situation and recent trends in such countries, following the Latin America Southern Cone Sub-Regional Office-s coordination and orientation.
• Provide support to the creation of a Sub-Regional common narrative, based on findings from this and from other consultancies carried out in the region,
• Provide support to the summarization of the information in a brief note, and disseminate it through regional, national and local actors, particularly with those concerned with the matter and media and press channels from Argentina and Uruguay
- Assignment 2: identification of strategic partners in Argentina and Uruguay that can participate actively in the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration and the implementation of the Regional Action Plan
• Identification of at least 5 strategic partners plus target audiences for the implementation of the UN Decade in each of the countries, encouraging such partners to join the Decade´s digital hub.
• Prepare a listing with these partners with current or futures main programmes, projects and/or activities of each one.
• Organization of webinars and bilateral meetings with potential strategic partners; discussion of engagement modalities and strategic partnerships and agreements.
• Agreement on individual work plans with strategic partners targeting ecosystem restoration priorities in LAC.
- Assignment 3: Support the organization of a virtual High-Level Regional Dialogue on the Action Plan for Ecosystem Restoration in LAC.
• Support the UNEP Regional Coordinator for Biodiversity and Ecosystems and the Regional Restoration Coordinator in the organization of a virtual High-Level Regional Dialogue.
• Facilitate the engagement of a multistakeholder audience inclusive of Ministries, private sector stakeholders, media, academia and civil society from Argentina and Uruguay, in support of Action 6 of the Regional Action Plan of Latin America and the Caribbean.
• Support the organization of meetings with the Working Group on Biodiversity and strategic partners to identify topics and speakers for the high-level dialogue.
• Provide input to the development of a concept note.
• Support the preparation and organization of the high-level dialogue.
• Support the preparation of the meeting report and communication materials with key messages from the high-level dialogue
- Assignment 4: At least one project proposal for an ecosystem restoration flagship programme in Argentina and/or Uruguay, developed and introduced to at least 3 potential funding partners.
• Support meetings with the Working Group on Biodiversity and strategic partners to identify priorities, opportunities, and approaches for an ecosystem restoration flagship programme in the Sub-Region, with a particular focus in Argentina and Uruguay.
• Liaise with relevant partners in Argentina and Uruguay to develop the flagship proposal, outlining how opportune could be its replication throughout the LAC region.
• Develop the flagship proposal.
• Facilitate meetings and secure participation in events to present the flagship programme to potential funding partners.
Work Plan establishing the methodologies and strategies to be followed to achieve the objectives of the consultancy.
Communications products (i.e.: briefs, webstories, social media content) with weblinks to disseminate the UN Decade and Regional Action Plan in the Latin America Southern Cone Sub-Region, with a particular focus in Argentina and Uruguay.
1 high-level regional dialogue with ministries, private sector stakeholders, academia and civil society from Latin America and the Caribbean held as a follow up to the adoption of the Regional Action Plan for Ecosystem Restoration (Action 6 of the Regional Action Plan of Latin America and the Caribbean).
At least 5 organizations (including governmental and non-governmental) from each of the countries -Argentina and Uruguay- that play an important role in supporting large-scale restoration are engaged as UN Decade strategic partners and contribute actively towards achieving the ecosystem restoration goals and priorities of the Sub-Region.
At least one project proposal for an ecosystem restoration flagship programme in Argentina and/or Uruguay, developed and introduced to at least 3 potential international cooperation, national or private funding partners, and present it in at least 1 national or regional event, if viable and opportune.
Product No. 1: A Work Plan including the methodologies and strategies that will be used for each assignment.
Product No. 2: 1 Product (i.e.: briefs, webstories, social media content) for each of the countries containing relevant data, information, policies and/or news, regarding the UN Decade materialization in Argentina and Uruguay.
Product No. 3: 1 High-Level Meeting Report indicating participation of stakeholders from Argentina and Uruguay.
Product No. 4: A document containing a list of 5 organizations mobilized including the link to their listing in the UN Decade website (digital hub).
Product No. 5: Project Proposal document, fully characterized and detailed, and with the due contextualization regarding the pertinence of its replication to the LAC region.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
The UNEP Latin America and the Caribbean Office (LACO), located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region and its activities are integrated into the Medium-Term Strategy and the Programme of Work approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA).
The Forum of Ministers of Environment of Latin America and the Caribbean (Forum of Ministers) was established in 1982 and is the oldest and most relevant cooperation body for environmental authorities in the region. The Office for Latin America and the Caribbean of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) hosts the Secretary of this forum.
In February 2021, the Action Plan for the Decade on Ecosystem Restoration in Latin America and the Caribbean was approved by regional Ministers of Environment during the XXI Forum of Ministers. The Action Plan seeks to support the implementation of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration (2021-2030) by promoting, accelerating and scaling-up ecosystem restoration in the region. It is a regional-level voluntary effort that focuses on cooperation mechanisms and enabling conditions designed to effectively support countries according to their national needs while promoting synergies and complementarity with existing initiatives.
UNEP is looking for a consultant to act as Ecosystem Restoration Consultant and facilitate the implementation of the Action Plan in the Latin America Southern Cone region, with a particular focus on Argentina and Uruguay.
The Ecosystem Restoration consultant will be supervised by the Head of the Sub-regional Office for the Southern Cone of Latin America and the Caribbean and will coordinate closely with UNEP’s Biodiversity and Ecosystems Regional Coordinator for LAC and the UNEP Ecosystem Restoration Regional Coordinator; both located in Panama City, Panama. Additionally, the Ecosystem Restoration Consultant will coordinate and communicate with UNEP´s Partnership Coordinator, UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration based in Nairobi and other national and Sub-Regional Ecosystem Restoration Consultants in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region. The incumbent may work from home or at the UNEP Latin America Southern Cone Office, depending on availability and convenience from both consultant and UNEP Southern Cone Office.
- Advanced University degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in conservation, ecology, environmental sciences, natural resource management, international development or management is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in environmental project management.
- Demonstrated track-record of multi-stakeholder engagement (government, academia, civil society and private sector).
- Demonstrated track-record of project concept drafting.
- Excellent technical knowledge and understanding of ecosystem conservation and restoration in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Language: – Fluency in English and Spanish is requested.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work and deliver under short deadlines.
- Able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare concept notes and proposals.
- Familiarity engaging Latin American governments strongly desired.
- Standard computer software application literacy is expected.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.