Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You’d like to contribute as a Technician? Join our Environmental Research and Innovation department
The Environmental Research and Innovation (ERIN) department, made up of 200 life science, environmental science and information technology researchers and engineers, provides the interdisciplinary knowledge, expertise and technologies to lead solutions including the major environmental challenges facing society, such as climate change mitigation, ecosystem resilience, sustainable energy systems, efficient use of renewable resources, and environmental pollution prevention and control.
The ERIN department relies on two cutting-edge platforms: the Biotechnologies and Environmental Analytics Platform (BEAP) and the Observatory for Climate, Environment and Biodiversity (OCEB).
How will you contribute?
You will join ERIN’s Observatory for Climate, Environment and Biodiversity (OCEB) https://www.list.lu/en/institute/rd-infrastructures/observatory-for-climate-environment-and-biodiversity/, a multidisciplinary platform including researchers and engineers who push the state of the art in environmental monitoring and assessment. The OCEB platform produces scientific evidence for supporting the policy-making process towards sustainable and informed management of natural resources in Luxembourg. One of the OCEB’s missions is the implementation and management of nested hydro-climatological observation network across a range of topographic settings, bedrock geologies, soils and land use types to document and report on the recent changes in climatic conditions and water resources in Luxembourg.
Are you a skilled and highly motivated technician with experience in hydro-climatological observation and monitoring approaches? If yes, you can strengthen our OCEB team’s fieldwork capacities for ongoing projects on hydro-climatological monitoring program in Luxembourg. The team is composed of hydrological, meteorological and soil experts who will share their expertise and know-how with you.
Your main missions are:
- Active participation in the field activities for supporting equipment installations and maintenance (mostly for climate, hydrological stations as well others). This general activity includes a range of tasks, e.g.:
- Supporting the cleaning and maintenance of different equipment in the field and in the lab
- Sampling campaigns (water, soil, vegetation), manual or continuous
- Acquisition and management of field equipment and sampling material
- Inventories of the field and lab equipment
- Handling and processing field samples (e.g., surface water, ground water, soil, and other)
- Document your own work by following good practices and rigor and guarantee the traceability of the results
- Contribution to the preparation of technical and analytical reports, or presentations when required
- Be autonomous for field data collection (e.g., gauging, data collection from field equipment), when required.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
You hold a bachelor’s degree or two-year undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as water resource/ environmental sciences or equivalent.
Additionally, your key experience and competencies are:
- Field experiences dealing with environmental monitoring equipment and methods
- Be able to manage heavy equipment (e.g. more than 30 kg)
- Be passionate about Do it Yourselves (DIY) and know how to use the various DIY tools to install field equipment, with basic knowledge of electricity.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including communication, team spirit and collaboration mindset
You hold a driving license valid in Luxembourg and you are at ease to use vehicles in the field.
Ideally you have a good knowledge in Microsoft Excel and Access. You have already been working in field and you are familiar with handling field samples.
You have a sufficient level of English to communicate efficiently with your teammates.WE OFFER
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society;
- Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations such as our Viswall, high-scale incubators and top of the range 3D/4D printings that are part of our toolkit for excelling in all we do;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days’ paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.
Your application must include:
- A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience;
- A CV with contact details.
Application procedure and conditions
- LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability;
- Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled;
- An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities;
- The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above.
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
- EnglishRead B2 Upper intermediateWrite B2 Upper intermediateSpeak B2 Upper intermediate
The following languages are optional but are considered a plus.
- French Read B2 Upper intermediate Write B2 Upper intermediate Speak B2 Upper intermediate
- Luxembourgish; Letzeburgesch Read B2 Upper intermediate Write B2 Upper intermediate Speak B2 Upper intermediate
MINIMUM REQUIREDEDUCATIONBachelorREQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCEIN YEARS2 or more years
DETAILSEMPLOYMENT TYPE Full-Time
CONTRACT TYPE Fixed Term contract
HOURS PER WEEK 40
CONTRACT PERIOD Months
CONTRACT DURATION 24
LOCATION COUNTRY Luxembourg CITY Esch-Sur-Alzette
UOERINPROFILE TYPE Support staff