With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 34,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Employee Contract Type:Local – Fixed Term Employee (Fixed Term)
*Preferred position locations: West Africa, East Africa, Southeast Asia.
Purpose of Position:
The position provides technical excellence, global leadership and overall direction for the Environmental Sustainability and Climate Adaptation (ESCA) sector, leveraging both internal and external stakeholders to maximize their contribution to child well-being. Sustainably grows an innovative ESCA portfolio through new business development including grants, contracts and strategic partnerships. Oversees World Vision’s sector programming to ensure that it reflects the organizational distinctive of Christ-centered, community empowering and child focused in its standards and practices and the highest technical standards are met in its programming. Builds WV’s reputation in the sector, creates partnerships and innovative approaches and strengthens and mobilizes WV’s sector community of practice to execute excellence in programming that demonstrates evidence of impact. Positions and brands WV as a leading child-focused organization within the climate space, serves as a lead for COP participation, and represents WV at high level external boards and advisory councils.
Set Strategic Priorities
- Define WV’s sector vision, global sectoral approach and targets in alignment with Partnership strategy.
- Provides thought leadership in their respective area of expertise both within and outside World Vision
- Develops WV brand and reputation through quality programming, evidence of impact, policy and advocacy related work
- Responsible for the development of sectoral policy and guidance in alignment with Partnership strategy.
- Ensures Partnership alignment to sector approaches and core project models to achieve strategy
- Ensures integration of WV’s distinctive, biases and ethos in all sector guidance and practice
- Ensure the global sectoral approach is vertically aligned (from sector fundraising & marketing through sector programming) and horizontally integrated (with other sectors and lines of ministry).
- Ensures overall compliance with Partnership standards and external standards
- Ensure innovations in sector programming
- Builds capability of WV’s sector professionals and global community of practice.
- Promotes a culture of innovation and continuous improvement
- Internally benchmark capabilities, processes, and systems in programming against market leaders and build toward best in class.
- Determines the technical capacity needs for the partnership.
Provide Global Stewardship
- Maintains a global view of sector across the partnership.
- Determines the technical capacity needs for the partnership.
- Ensures accountability in provision of technical services and programme implementation for globally agreed standards, sector approaches and core project models
- Build understanding of current sectoral footprint and identify opportunities for further impact.
- Maintain a view of revenue streams to support programme opportunity. Measure extent to which resourcing opportunities meet ministry needs and impact CWB.
- With Evidence and Learning, responsible for analysis and interpretation of data that provides global evidence of impact for sector.
Promote WV Way
- Coordinates with other Global Sector leads in ensuring global approaches (including core project models) are integrated and have a ministry focus that is Christian, community-based and child-focused.
- Oversees and coordinates closely with Support Office (and GC where appropriate) sector team engagement and partners.
- Represents and builds World Vision’s influence, advocacy, partnerships and reputation externally.
- Collaborates with Faith and Development actors externally as we seek to integrate faith into all our programming to address spirituals of causes of child well-being
- Participates in high level international meetings, forums and conferences as required.
- Actively positions WV as an NGO of choice with global 2030 Agenda platforms, and with potential and key partners, donors and stakeholders, businesses and donors
- Provides technical support to Global Campaigns.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Masters degree in environmental studies, earth sciences, or related field.
- Subject matter expert in environmental sustainability and climate adaptation including evidence based best practices
- Proven Environmental Sustainability and Climate Adaptation (ESCA) subject matter expert with a minimum of 15 years’ experience designing and leading global ESCA related programming in a developing context including sub-Saharan Africa and/or South East Asia.
- Strong experience developing strategy and policy within the International NGO sector or a development agency such as the United Nations.
- Strong experience and proven skills in leading a team of technical professionals and growing a diverse, sustainable global portfolio.
- Strong experience in working with grant funded programmes by bilateral and multilateral donors
- Strong experience and proven skills in working effectively to advance priorities and achieve change, in situations without direct authority in which influence, relationships, and technical quality are needed to succeed.
- Proven ability to strategically grow portfolio through new business development, partnerships, grants and contracts.
- Strong experience and proven skills in external engagement that contributes to change in policy and practice and builds WV’s reputation as an innovative thought leader in the industry.
- Willing to take risk and Experience in working with faith, faith actors and faith related issues in development.
- Experience in humanitarian response, emergency relief and fragile contexts. Proven track record of developing strategy and ensuring successful delivery against it, including through periods of growth and ambiguity.
- Recent and extensive experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa and/or South East Asia.
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English and French, Spanish or Arabic. Additional languages representative of the countries WV serves is an advantage.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- PhD or doctorate level degree preferred in environment, earth sciences, natural resource management, climate, international development or closely related field.
- Proven experience developing new technical products and growing portfolios from scratch in a variety of contexts.
- Experience linking ESCA programming across sectors to strengthen livelihoods, improve access to credit and other initiatives to enhance effectiveness.
- Extensive knowledge of carbon credit markets and corporate carbon emissions reduction planning and implementation.
- Experience working with and managing large grants in sector programming for major bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Experience growing a diverse global portfolio through new business development, strategic positioning, grants, contracts and partnerships.
- Previous experience working in a Country Office/National Office or Regional Office setting will be advantageous.
- Experience working in fragile, conflict, post-conflict and/or difficult operating environments is preferred.
- Strong preference for a doctoral level degree.
- Strong preference for multi-lingual candidates, language skills representative of the countries WV serves is an advantage.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
Applicant Types Accepted: Local Applicants Only