- Job number: SRH04934
- Domaine de competence: Water Sanitation and Hygiene promotion
- Statut: Salarié
- Type de poste: Overseas missions
- Country: Mozambique
- Contract Type: Short term contract
ABOUT THE MISSION
Desired start date: 01/09/2022
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Pemba, Mozambique
- Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs.
Solidarités International intervened in Mozambique in March 2019 for a few months following the passage of Cyclone Idai, which hit the Province of Sofala and the city of Beira hard. Operations were suspended after the emergency phase and the mission closed. The evolution of the situation in Cabo Delgado province, hit by several cyclones and severely affected by the violent actions of armed groups claiming to be IS, which caused the displacement of nearly 700 000 people, led to an assessment in May 2021. The assessment, carried out in the most affected district highlighted needs, particularly in the WASH sector, and the lack of emergency actors. The mission is opening in a complex security and administrative environment, where access will be a major issue.
Solidarités International was one of the first INGO actors to respond to the growing crisis in Cabo Delgado, leading emergency response and distributions in hard-to-reach areas. SI has completed its opening phase and diversified its activities in 2022. A new field base (in Palma) is opening, and multiple new projects are opening.
In 2021, Solidarités International developed a WASH response in Mueda Districts complemented by an emergency response to provide survival kits to newly displaced families. The WASH programs are focusing on in one hand supporting IDPs sites by providing water, sanitation and hygiene solution rapidly through emergency solution, and on the other hand working to improve the water network of the city in a more sustainable approach. SI also implemented a limited Shelter/NFI response in displacement sites in Mueda.
Since 2021, SI carried out WASH emergency activities thanks to the Start fund, UNICEF and SDC fundings to respond to the humanitarian needs of in and out of camp IDPs, as well as host communities. SI also developed a strong shelter/NFI component with UNHCR funds in the country, mainly in IDPs sites, and has expanded its support to the affected population with general food distribution in Nangade in the past months (WFP funds). This expertise led SI to implement emergency NFI distributions as well as more sustainable shelter responses to respond to the needs of the populations living in the relocation camps.
In 2022, mission expanded into integrated, multisectorial programming including: NFI, CCCM, Shelter, Food, WASH, RRM and FSL. This scale up in terms of sectors is also reflected in term of geography, with new areas of interventions such as Palma, Muindumbe, Nangade, and all other new accessible areas in the province.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Specific context of the project and the post
This post is based in Pemba where the security and safety are not a concern. Moreover, the candidate is requested to be able to spend up to 50% of his/her time in the field as the position requires frequent travel to the bases.
The level of representation is important on the mission. Representation for the WASH Coordinator involves regular presence and participation to related clusters and TWiG (national and provincials) for Wash and Shelter/NFI. The position is also closely involved in donors’ discussions, proposal writing and reports.
Mission is opening and work of organization, structuration and harmonization will have to be set up.
- Priorities for the 2/3 first months
S/he will support the setup of all SI process, organization and structuration of the mission at program level, in coordination with the DCD program.
S/he will contribute to the development of Solidarités International strategy by proposing a sector-based strategy in the field of Water supply, Sanitation and HP but also Shelter and NFI, with special attention to integrated approach shelter/wash and market-based approach;
S/he will identify the training needs of SI WASH teams in both bases and organized training as per needs
S/he will put in place and follow up the use of proper monitoring tools and the overall quality of the WaSH activities.
S/he will guarantee the quality and suitability of proposed technical approaches and ensures the appropriateness of WASH activities and general SI objectives to the needs of the local populations;
- Only functional links with the Bases’ WASH and Shelter NFI PMs.
- The WaSH coordinator will have a functional link with 3 WASH PMs and 1 Shelter PM. S/he will be working closely with the RRM PM. He/she will closely work with the DCD program, Deputy Field Co program, MEAL Coordinator and the Grant Coordinator of the mission, based in Pemba.
- University level degree, preferably a Master degree in Water Sanitation and Hygiene related sector, Engineering, Civil engineering or construction, Environment and/or Geology.
- Minimum 3 years’ professional work experience in a coordinator role in managing teams (including by remote control) + specific WASH experience.
- Significant previous experiences in emergency contexts and protracted crises.
- Experience in conducting technical assessment and project evaluation.
Technical skill and competence:
- WASH programming experience;
- Team management and capacity building;
- Monitoring and evaluation;
- Report and proposal writing;
- Strategic thinking;
- Able to quickly understand complex situations and to coordinate both emergencies and long-term programs;
- Technical knowledge on behaviour change approach;
- Experience in social water management, participatory methods and community engagement in tensed community context.
- Ability to take decisions and work in autonomy is essential;
- The candidate must display diplomatic and smooth leadership skills;
- An understanding of and commitment to SI’s mission and values.
- Show a clear calm, stable, mature and rational personality with a culturally sensitive approach
- Willingness to work under challenging conditions and physical fitness to live and work in a tropical climate
- Able to work under pressure, be dynamic and highly motivated to meet populations’ humanitarian needs.
Languages: Fluent in English (the mission is an English speaking /writing mission). Fluent in Portuguese or Spanish is an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post:
According to experience, starting from 2400 euros gross per month (+ 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English .
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
For further information about SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/